NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

I was asking because in the latest VRWorks for UE4.12, there is VR SLI.

It seems Nvidia Funhouse (made with UE4) can use SLI, they recommend to use dual GTX 1080 for the best experience:
“If you’ve got two identical GPUs and a GeForce GTX 980 Ti, or higher, dedicated to , VR Funhouse will activate VR SLI, enabling GPU 1 to render to the left eye in the VR headset and GPU 2 to the right eye. improves performance while keeping latency low, further improving the experience.”

I did read as they recommed you to use 3 nvidia vga cards in order to get the two identicals to use SLI via the VR SLI extension. The docs rather sparse, as usual.

So I guess if you don’t use on a project, you could just use 2 GPU in SLI.

With the GPU affinity API, VR SLI allows scaling for systems with more than 2 GPUs.

https://developer.nvidia/vrworks

While your idea sounds reasonable, it unfortunately doesn’t appear to be the case. The short description text on the vrworks site tells it will allow the scaling with VR SLI only, if there’s more than 2 gpus available in your rig.

Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\Windows\WindowsD3D11Device.cpp:*

// NVCHANGE: LRR - Only allow VR SLI when there are 3 GPUs (one dedicated to ) on Windows 10 
if (MultiGPUCaps.nSLIGPUs > 1 && bDedicatedPhysXGPU && bWindows10)
		{
			UE_LOG(LogD3D11RHI, Log, TEXT("Initializing VR SLI.")); 

else
		{
			UE_LOG(LogD3D11RHI, Log, TEXT("VR SLI not available.")); 

The code lines above tells me that the requirements for the VR SLI extension will be more than 1 gpu in sli mode (yes it requires 2 at least to get the sli), and an additional dedicated gpu for the (eg a card next to the sli config) on windows 10. The else clause will make clear the VR SLI will not be initialized otherwise. That’s unfortunate.

Anyways, things like always depends on the nature of the integration, and usually you can’t just flip a switch to turn off embedded features like which is being used for all sort of simulations. Even if your project doesn’t contain certain features, the executables will still hold the codebase of the and the logic that wraps around these extensions will not depend on the contents of your project, but perhaps only the very few compiler flags that you can set before when you build the executables from the engine source.

I think what you can do is to alter the engine source of the vr funhouse branch to get the SLI stuff to be supported, by eliminating the bindings of the gpu accelerated extensions. doesn’t sounds a trivial task, but maybe it is doable.

I tested NVIDIA Flow from VR Funhouse mod kit and I think is a really real-time fluid simualtion for games. FlowGridAsset has many settings which allow to achive really imperssive fluids fire and smoke and as far as I understand, for reasonable cost.

Ran at old gtx660 and reduced grid resolution, but of course for ultimate quality recommended more powerful GPU:
[video]]
I’m not a game developer and never worked with unreal engine and any others engines before, just interested in real-time Visual FX and wait for implementation fluids in games.

upd: Question for … NVIDIA FLEX has demostration of smoke fluids, called “grid free method”, but as far as I know smoke simulation also still unavailable at the latest version of FLEX. Are there any issues with release smoke fluids in FLEX?

Hello. Any plans to add those GameWorks to UE4?

Nvidias Enhanced Volumetric fog Nvidias Sun Glare
Nvidias Enhanced Wetness Nvidias Lens Flare FX
Nvidias Rain Occlusion Nvidias Screen Space Reflections
Nvidias Enhanced and Modified Ambeant Occlusion Nvidias Tri-X Tripple definition Depth of Field
Nvidias Enhanced Particles space Nvidias Replacement Texture Override
Nvidias Enhanced Shadows and Vary Shading Nvidias Enhanced Lighting / Smoke and Fire .
Nvidia`s Enhanced Terrain with Mastered Tessellation

Only if existing integrations exist. I dont have time to write integrations unless i have a need for them myself

EDIT: just realised u were most likely speaking to Nvidia. Ignore what I wrote

Yeah. I was adressed to Nvidia. :stuck_out_tongue:

I see new games implementing such advanced techs but UE4 is left with the basic ones.

https://developer.nvidia/what-is-gameworks

I don’t actually see these enhancements in the gameworks documentation, are you sure they are part of the open source GW kit? Correct me if i’m wrong, but they might as well can be proprietary / closed source solutions thus they’ll never make it to the kit. Although, a few of those visuals pry can be reproduced in UE4 by using the built in tools, if there isn’t a competitive solution available already.

https://steamcommunity/app/360430/discussions/0/343786745995280780/

That’s an unofficial source of information, and does not represents the GameWorks solutions in any form. There is however the official site explaining the available features of the GW solutions which i’d recommend you to read instead. Most (not all but most) of the features mentioned on the official site are actually available in UE4 builds which @ was kind enough to pull together into one branch already. The features you are missing doesn’t appear to be part of the GameWorks, but as i mentioned before UE4 have competitive solutions as replacement that you can use, eg Screen Space Reflection was a from day 1. Some of the others you can recreate by yourself, using UE4’s built in tools like the rain texture or the tessellated terrain features.

The official site doesn’t mention all of the GameWorks. In fact Nvidia announced since last year some GameWorks and many games have their own GameWorks not part of those in your link, games like, The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, The Division, Assassin Creed Syndicate, Fallout 4 and now Mafia 3 etc… Because they aren’t mentioned there it doesn’t mean they don’t exist. I posted about other GameWorks and the told me they may work on them for UE4. Some GameWorks (not mentioned there of course) like PCSS Ultra, HBAO+ Ultra, Hybrid Ray Traced Shadows etc are way beyond the available GameWorks and what can recreate by yourself, using UE4’s built and can improve the game much better. Even Turf aren’t mentioned in that list.

Hi, can anybody out there show me how to run waveworks from scratch?
Hv done all the necessary downloads, but when I double click on the test project ue4 file I only get an empty viewport.

Is there something am not doing right

I just downloaded /tree/VXGI-4.13. I followed the directions and VXGI is working perfectly, but only in the left eye. In the right eye, the shadows are missing. If I go to the PostProcessVolume and uncheck Settings->Enable Diffuse Tracing, then both eyes work correctly again, but without the GI obviously. Im using an Oculus Rift with an NVidia GTX1080 using the newest drivers. Has anyone else seen behavior?

Update: I confirmed that the same thing happens (shadows in only the left eye) in the SciFiHallway demo as shipped, so there’s definitely a bug in the code itself.

HairWorks integration upgraded to UE4.13.2, with several small fixes.

Hi guys.when i want assign any material to any landscape with any size ue4 crash with a fatal error.(in VXGI 4.13)
where is the problem.anyone has same problem

Hey guys quick question for people messing around with flex. Been trying my hand at making a Splatoon clone, any idea on how to make your character take per poly collisions with fluids(giggity!)?

Heya, I just have to thank you guys for the work you’ve been putting into making sure all these great features work with Unreal. I’m always running with a Multi Res Shading build for my VR projects.

I am curious about one thing though, are there any plans to implement a non-vr implementation of Multi Res Shading?
Shadow Warrior 2 has apparently implemented that with great success for non-vr use, and it seems like a great alternative to checkerboard rendering, or just upscaling when you need added performance in a lot of cases.

We don’t currently support collision against the characters polygon mesh however you can set Flex to collide against the character’s bone shapes, see the flexRagdollTest.umap in the UE4 FlexProject to see how to set up the collision channels.

Thanks Miles! I’ll give it a shot weekend