NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

VGAO works really great but I am having a problem. With console command:r .VXGI.AmbientOcclusionMode 1 ,I can isolate AO from entire VXGI and reduce the performance impact. The AO pass looks great without any flickering like in SSAO. However, when I turn on VXGI, I only see AO overwrites the scene without any materials. is my problem and I cannot figure out why and how to fix it.

How exactly are you turning VXGI back on again after you’ve used VXAO?

I did by put r .VXGI.AmbientOcclusionMode=0 into console command and restarted my project and VXGI came back. Oh, and I think I stated my problem incorrectly. After I isolated AO pass, the materials in entire scene are overwritten by AO color. Do you have same problem? BTW, I am working on a GTX Titan Black which doesn’t utilize Voxelization well I think. I am probably gonna get a new card when Nvidia release their Pascal cards.

Your Titan Black is a solid GPU. I have tried VXGI on both the Titan and Titan X and sure, the X is ofc faster but the Titan also ran it without much issues. You’re doing the VXAO thing correctly. Just know that if you switch from VXGI, you are very likely to indeed run into a very occluded scene first time you toggle. You need to compensate for with the VXGI ambient section in your Post-Processing volume.

hi
how to merge flex ,hairworks and vxgi in ue 4.11 can u guide me

4.11 has quite a few changes which is slowing my progress of a 4.11 merge at the moment, but is not something that is easily accomplished nor is there any general guide on how to do it. You need to have a good understanding of the engine.

Pretty much what says. It’s a lot of work. You constantly have to keep yourself updated on the latest changes etc. Unless you have fiddled around with GitHub, Visual Studio and the engine in terms of local adjusts and rewrites, I’d stay clear from a monumental task as for sure.

I think you’re using an old version of the VXGI integration which indeed overwrites scene color with AO in Ambient Occlusion Mode.

Regarding VXGI and UE 4.11: I started working on the port, but it’s not high priority now. And it looks like Epic made significant changes to the mesh rendering code, so it’s not going to be as easy as “git rebase”.

Yup I can feel ur pain about the changes. Depending on how long it might take you, I may release my branch with all the other techs minus VXGI and then just port your 4.11 VXGI code, as I am quite far behind anyways, was planning to merge all the changes in to the current version, but might be easier to wait.

I would definitely welcome such a branch.

Thanks, it feels strange that VXGI 0.9 Unreal Engine 4.10.0 version doesn’t have ambient setting but 4.10.4 has one. However, I have problem in both version. As I said before, when I isolate AO pass in 4.10.0, the viewport shows only AO on screen. When I switch to 4.10.4, it doesn’t work. Console command only turn off VXGI but doesn’t turn VXAO on and restarting project doesn’t turn VXAO on either, I am so frustrated with it…

What happens if you put the command in your Consolevariables.ini (on your latest build of VXGI, and please doublecheck you really do work with the latest build just to make sure)
's what I start the editor with when I want to work in VXAO mode:

Consolevariables.ini (UE4vgxibuild\Engine\Config)

r.VXGI.DiffuseTracingEnable=1
r.VXGI.SpecularTracingEnable=1
r.VXGI.MultiBounceEnable=1
r.VXGI.CombineSpecularWithSSR=1
r.VXGI.MapSize=128
r.VXGI.Range=512
r.HBAO.Enable=1
r.VXGI.AmbientOcclusionMode=1

Note you don’t need all of the above but maybe try and see if it helps?

:/// <- Is there a that author will share his amazing VXGI demos for users (compiled to *.exe) ? Especially UE4 VXGI Forest is really interesting experiment. I would like to test it on my computer in real time :slight_smile:

I’ll try for sure. It’s not very easy to make a .exe with VXGI that contains something interesting and also runs on a lot of different hardware. Most of the demo’s I made up till now have fairly high quality settings. I manage to squeeze out 20-30 fps on a Titan-X. That limits their usage to a very select few. Also with things like the Forest example, all assets are from the Kite Demo. I’m sure you are familiar with their enormous texture and memory requirements (which is why I use them for my tests cause if those run, it can only go uphill :cool:). I’m currently in the process of creating something I can actually share but please give it some time :slight_smile:

After I put all these into console variables file, it still doesn’t work. I found that the problem is VXGI doesn’t generate AO on my end. When I turned off SSAO and HBAO+, I got no AO at all. And when I used VXAO console command to switch it on, it still cancels GI pass without giving me AO result. I tried both 4.10.0 and 4.10.4 which is the latest version. So do I need to recompile the engine files or it is a glitch?

Edit:
After I started a whole new project, it actually worked. AO looks great and very stable. Finally, I realize that the problem is the distance field shadow. I am using it in my current project to get better far shadows. It works with XVGI properly. However, the only problem is VXAO. I don’t know why it constantly gives me wrong result.
I made my decision. I will stay with distance field shadow and HBAO+ because my project contains foliage far away from camera and AO is barely noticeable but poor quality of cascade shadow at long distance is extremely obvious. BTW, I am using LPV as well. LPV and VXGI can even work together, distance field technologies work with LPV as well. But I still want VXAO+LPV+Distance field shadow. Guess I have to wait new branch release.

Are we getting Hybrid Frustum Traced Shadows?

Sorry for beeing hardcore noob but is there a tutorial how to get Nvdia working in ue4?

I alreasy connectet my UE4 account to github…but whats next?

Which do you want in first ? VXGI, Flex, Turbulence, HBAO, Waveworks and Hairworks, each branch separately or custom merged version (all features in one source)

I want just Turbulence :open_mouth:

goodluck …