NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

The Nvidia VXGI build, as a representative from Nvidia said earlier in massive thread if I recall correctly, is free for anyone using the UE4 to use (someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, hunting for the exact quote in 78 pages would take all night). It wasn’t who said it, it was someone else from Nvidia and the name slips my mind at the moment so I can’t search for it.

As for VXGI being pretty heavy on performance, it can be. Fortunately, it can get a lot better.

r.VXGI.mapsize = 32 ( will make the voxels much, much larger and decrease the amount of vram it uses)
Then in post processing, set sparse tracing to 4 and cones to 4. There may be other ways to make it a bit cheaper, but generally those are the most important ones. VXGI specular I actually find with these settings has a minimal, almost negligible performance impact on things, so you’re probably safe leaving that on.

For my personal rig, which is using the 3GB GTX 780, it’s possible to make VXGI have the same performance hit LPVs have. On anything past that, and soon Pascal, it has even less of an impact since VXGI is properly hardware accelerated.

Thank You.
A last question for now. Its simple to put it to run on 4.11? Or I need make code things that I dont know? :confused:
I work as a web developer. But inside the game development scene, I am much more an artist than a programmer.

is working on the 4.11 build since the engine was just updated to it only a few days ago. It may be a week or two before it’s properly prepared. When it’s ready, it’ll be put on Github for use, and it’s fairly straightforward to compile the engine using it. I’m not a programmer either and I’ve been able to figure it out pretty easily. It’s barely 1 step more than compiling the standard UE4 build from Epic’s Github, it’s almost the exact same process aside from 1 step. When you run setup.bat, you just hit N for it to not overwrite the modified files. Everything else is the same.

Thank You for All. Plz check my game on signature, and follow it if you like.
Lets see where your precious help, it will take me.

Bump

Hope you remember to include exposing of “GFSDK_Waveworks_Simulation_ArchivedDisplacements()” in your 4.11 Github

Best regards

Any you can share what you’ve been able to get working yet ?

I have nothing working thats the, basically just broken rendering, its really not worth me uploading.

edit - oops I was too late with bit of my reply - From whats been said so far I presume there would be no point sharing it because its not working in a useful way.

Lack of volumetric fog is the main thing that has stopped me really trying UE4 in depth so far, and FleX also intrigues me a lot. So if you can get those two working in 4.11 I will be over the moon and will make a donation. I’m sorry that all your hard work gets you a lot of people desperate for you to share, I wish nvidia put more resources into stuff. I’ve been reading thread almost since the start and I found it slightly disconcerting that we don’t hear as much from them on thread as we used to.

Someone very generous has to integrate VXGI with 4.11…as soon as possible. :wink:

Sorry to bother you but is there any rough plan for when flow will be released? There doesn’t seem to be much about it anywhere on the web apart from the GDC-related press release and a few snippets of video on youtube.

I think I know enough about it that I’m already in love with it despite its present low profile. Because I’m a huge fan of the ‘previous generation’ of particular simulation/technique - one that was limited by the stuff being trapped by the bounds of a fixed grid, as opposed to new one that appears to dynamically add simulation cells to new positions in space as they are needed. Practical applications for the simulation blossom with new capability so I am virtually wetting myself over the prospect of getting my hands on an implementation.

is my small input on application of Flex:

So the 4.11 flex just came up on GitHub, but I am having trouble compiling. I have downloaded the zip, run setup.bat, run GenerateProjectFiles.bat and opened the solution in Visual Studio Community 2015 (fully updated) and I am getting error:

From OutPut:

Creating library C:\UnrealEngine-FleX\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor.lib and object C:\UnrealEngine-FleX\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor.exp
5> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
5>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\UnrealEngine-FleX\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Engine.dll
5> Total build time: 2426,72 seconds
5>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(42,5): error MSB3075: The command “…..\Build\BatchFiles\Rebuild.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development -waitmutex” exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run command.

From ErrorList:
Error MSB3075 The command “…..\Build\BatchFiles\Rebuild.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development -waitmutex” exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run command. UE4 C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 42
Error C2027 use of undefined type ‘FFlexContainerInstance’ UE4 C:\UnrealEngine-FleX\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\PhysicsEngine\PhysUtils.cpp 616
Error C2065 ‘sGlobalDebugDraw’: undeclared identifier UE4 C:\UnrealEngine-FleX\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\PhysicsEngine\PhysUtils.cpp 616
Error C2027 use of undefined type ‘FFlexContainerInstance’ UE4 C:\UnrealEngine-FleX\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\PhysicsEngine\PhysUtils.cpp 619
Error C2065 ‘sGlobalDebugDraw’: undeclared identifier UE4 C:\UnrealEngine-FleX\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\PhysicsEngine\PhysUtils.cpp 619
Error Failed to produce item: C:\UnrealEngine-FleX\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Engine.dll UE4 C:\UnrealEngine-FleX\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR 1

can anyone help me. where can i get gameworks for 4.10 or 4.11… i cannot find it thanks

I got it working, and I was also using VS Community 2015. You have to follow the instructions in the readme of FleX version - downloading the zip is no good, you have to go about everything in a particular way to avoid overwriting files that FleX needs.

I did skip the second part of step 2, which invites us to prepare, compile & run the main one before even getting the flex stuff. Because at point it still complained about not having visual studio 2012 or 2013, presumably because it was an older version of UE. Happily once the steps afterwards are followed and the FleX version gets merged in, it then works with VS 2015.

Has anyone noticed with the latest VXGI-4.10 version that distance field shadows don’t work at all (whether vxgi is on or not)? or is there something wrong with my settings? It still works on 's 4.9.2 merged version.

Yeah. For me it works. But its crashing after every 10 or 20 minutes.

Success, I followed your advice and now it works. Thanks.

I got them working but so-so. When I disable DFAO in the console, the next object I move makes the editor crash. Not tested on 4.10 vanilla if is also the case though.

Cool, glad it helped. I do love FleX, it’s what I always hoped for from a realtime game physics system. I’ve only really played with the samples in the past but look forward to getting my teeth into it a bit more now.

I have spent the entire day trying to get Substance and Ikinema to work with flex 4.11, but not luck at all. is the error message I get when I try to compile my project with the substance plugin (4.11.0.12 downloaded from GitHub):

2>------ Build started: Project: StairsGameBP, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
2> Creating makefile for StairsGameBPEditor (no existing makefile)
2> Performing 4 actions (4 in parallel)
2> Module.SubstanceEditor.cpp
2> Module.SubstanceCore.cpp
2>c:\unrealengineflex\unrealengine\engine\intermediate\build\win64\ue4editor\inc\unrealed\ActorFactoryFlex.generated.h(12): fatal error C1189: #error: “ActorFactoryFlex.generated.h already included, missing ‘#pragma once’ in ActorFactoryFlex.h”
2> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
2>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Users\Documents\Unreal Projects\StairsGameBP 4.11\Plugins\Substance\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-SubstanceCore.dll
2> Total build time: 51,84 seconds
2>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(37,5): error MSB3073: The command “C:\UnrealEngineFlex\UnrealEngine\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat StairsGameBPEditor Win64 Development “C:\Users\Documents\Unreal Projects\StairsGameBP 4.11\StairsGameBP.uproject” -waitmutex” exited with code -1.
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 3 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

And the Ikinema plugin is set up so that when you compile in Visual Studio it ignores the plugin, but when you try to open the project in UE4 it asks to recompile the plugin but fails.