NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

I would fully support NVIDIA open sourcing their products for the reasons you have already listed, but I dont see that happening any time soon unfortunately. As for your particular, that is very strange, I have not seen anything like that before.

I’m not sure what you mean, but there are no games that use VXGI. It’s beta and a fairly new tech from nvidia. The same for Flex and FlameWorks. So regarding what works in GameWorks and what doesn’t work or with unusual poor performance, VXGI, Flex and FlameWorks are not a part of that what AdoredTV on YouTube was talking about.

However, to my opinion AMD is growing into a problem for PC gaming. They just should stick to consoles only. I dare to say that intelligent people won’t fall for the “dark side of a monopoly”. So far, Nvidia always seem to have shown the mentality of great inventors. They did so by using their names for GPU architecture, and even by simply (not it is actually not that simple) inventing/improving their GPUs and APIs, too.

For the sake of a scientific physiological experiment. I would love to remove AMD from PC gaming, give Nvidia a total monopoly over the Glorious PC Gaming Race, and observe what would happen! For how long could Nvidia resist Big Capitalism? My money is on Nvidia’s inventor spirit! :smiley:

I wouldn’t want Nvidia to open the entire source just like that, though, and give it to AMD or anybody.

By buying a Geforce, Nvidia customers don’t just pay for the GPU. They also pay for better drivers AND the APIs. So Nvidia customers did contribute to the development of GameWorks. AMD customers didn’t.

It’s simple. If AMD is interest in a “better PC gaming world”. Then they should pay a reasonable amount of money for a licence, that allows them to modify any code inside GameWorks that could make GameWorks run on an AMD GPU.

If Nvidia is afraid that AMD might start learning too much from GameWorks, and could try to make their own API at some point. Nvidia could make a limited patent on the source (which probably is going to be a pain in the a$$ messing around with the law), or just set up a license term that for as long as AMD has access to the source of GameWorks, that they won’t start working own their own API.

Just for the sake of pointing out the obvious. problem with GameWorks won’t go away any time soon. Actually, around the time when Pascal comes out, and the recent additions to GameWorks, which are very powerful, left beta and are actually get used in games. The AMD fangirls out cry will get even stronger!

I wonder how long it will take until some devs won’t even mind that AMD gamers can’t haz GameWorkz. And start implementing features that can’t be turned off. So far, I’m not aware of a single game that requires Nvidia hardware to run. But depending on how useful GameWorks turns out to be, may change in the future. Some big studio can afford making their own tech (their own GameWorks like thing), but many others can’t. They only can do what an engine like UE4 or Unity 5 can do.

@: Your rather naive to belive that nVidia wouldnt do the same as Intel atm, without a strong competition nVidia would just update there GPUs as little as needed. You insulting people that use Hardware from a company not favored by yours, well to say it in your own words: Your the fangirl. So far most nVidia Gameworks stuff, is more a nice to have but not a “must have” and anyways only for the top high end hardware. Making games, like you suggested that only would run with gameworks, would be a bad idea, because if you look on the steam statistics, most of your potential customers (that would play your game on all min. and 20-25 fps) have a intel GPU (another GPU that cant do Gameworks). Also don’t get me wrong, I love the gameworks stuff and will defiantly use it optional (and I have a 980ti and GSync Monitor - one downside of nVidia for not using the standard “FreeSync” as the rest of the competitors, before you accuse me of beeing AMD Fangirl).

would anyone dare to try merging VXGI with 4.11?

I really need to make a presentation and VXGI (interior with dynamic sun/sky) would be really helpful. Currently the lack of VR instancing (VR SLI) in 4.10 makes it unusable even at lowest settings (50FPS even with SP 80). Merging the current VXGI 4.10 to the is a ridiculous failure for me…

I really dont think thread needs to turn into an AMD vs Nvidia debate… Its about UE4 and the gameworks integrations.

He thanks for your reply and not only for that. Your implementation of Flex has inspired and impressed me. I´m really interested what you will bring to us on March. I will send you the additional functions before or in March, so i got a little time to better understand what i´ve done. Reading your code teaches me a lot, thanks for sharing. :wink:

Now that I have some spare time, I tried to fiddle with flex again.
However it doesn´t seem to work. I built the engine from the nvidia-tree and when playing the flex project nothing happens.
Maybe my gtx480 is too old, but I hope the cpu will take over instead.
Is there something I have overlooked? The documentation is all about the various attributes of flex-objects, so I presume
it is all set to go from the getgo.

You need a card with CUDA compute capability 3.0 or higher. (for flex 0.8 ://docs.nvidia/gameworks/content/gameworkslibrary//flex/) The gtx 480 has only 2.0 (CUDA - Wikipedia)

You need a card with CUDA compute capability 3.0 or higher. (for flex 0.8 ://docs.nvidia/gameworks/con…ry//flex/) The gtx 480 has only 2.0 (CUDA - Wikipedia)

Ah, ok. I had hoped that it would move the calculation to the cpu like .
Thanks for your quick reply.

: Your rather naive to belive that nVidia wouldnt do the same as Intel atm
[/QUOTE]

Intel doesn’t have an inventor spirit. Intel was, is, and always going to be Big Capitalism. Giving a micro chip architecture a name from actual people, like Nvidia does, isn’t just for the sake of being fancy. It’s also about honoring those great minds who extended our understanding of things already ages ago. And it’s also about Nvidia’s identity, or rather name. And making things “personal”.

It’s true that at least some laziness would set in if Nvidia had a monopoly. But if I’m right about Nvidia’s mentality, and it’s true that they do have a strong inventor spirit. Then Big Capitalism wouldn’t really become a problem.

And regarding the usefulness of GameWorks. Well, for those who don’t know. And I didn’t know until yesterday when I started up Rise of the Tomb Raider for the first time, is that Square Enix doesn’t work with AMD anymore. The startup screen now reads: is how it’s meant to be played! Kind regards, Nvidia trolololo!"

No, Tomb Raider does’t use GameWorks. But it uses Nvidia’s HBAO+. And in-game, on the main menu, the news feed thing says some like : “We are partnering with Nvidia to push cutting edge technology”. came as a total surprise to me. But again, actually it didn’t. And of course because of partnering, they probably now going to hammer all, or most Nvidia tech (GameWorks) into the next Tomb Raider.

So, I guess since Nvidia acquired Lara Croft, now the time has come to show off Flex softbody simulation!? :smiley:

I don’t know if changes anything for you, but I did notice that they updated Turbulence yesterday.

/tree/Turbulence-4.10.2

It definately does change things, for 4.10, but for 4.11 it still might not work, if Epic have changed anything in the library again. But will give it a try with the new Turbulence DLL’s

Never mind, i manage to download from github now, i did not know that i have to register in the UE account, etc. Anyways, i`m downloading the 4.10 edition from /tree/VXGI-4.10

Can you have moving/deforming objects with VXGI and get the update in realtime or the realtime option is just for moving lights and for moving objects you have to wait for a calculation?..

4.11.0 is out now…[EDIT] Alright, I swear it WAS, my launcher downloaded it and even set the available version to 4.11.0 - but after a restart it now says Preview 6…

Hey guys, im a newbie with unreal engine. After i download the ZIP from /tree/VXGI-4.10 which is about 800mb i run the Setup.bat and after i chose "n" in command prompt window i get a message that says "updating dependencies" and is more than 3GBs, anyways im doing in a PC where i have internet, can i then just grab the “UnrealEngine-VXGI-4.10” folder and copied to another computer and do the other steps there with out internet connection??

2- Run GenerateProjectFiles.bat

3- Open UE4.sln, build UE4 and ShaderCompileWorker projects.

4- Run UE4 Editor, open CornellBox or SciFiHallway projects.

Would it run with out issues…? or do i have to do the whole process with internet and then (perhaps??) grab the whole folder and copied to another pc?

Thanks

Yes, once u have the dependencies downloaded, you can move/copy the directory around to other machines and it should work fine. I do quite frequently.

VXGI is entirely realtime, but has a fairly hefty performance cost.

Great thanks.

Having all in real time is fantastic even if the framerate is not high. I don`t want to use it for in-game render but for rendering character animation so having low frame rates is not an.

-If i have a really high res mesh in movement that i want to import in to UE4 for rendering, and the frame rate and viewport gets really sluggish can i process the sequence out with out depending on the viewport in similar way you render out a sequence in maya with mental ray, arnold, etc.

-Speaking of that, UE does not have a way to import cache trough alembic, mdd or other format…, right?

Is using Flex and other gameworks technology going to be free, or is just for learning purposes?