NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

When using VXGI, what would be a better source for ambient light, a sky light or the VXGI ambient settings? Does either one provide sky occlusion without distance fields? Does DFAO affect Skylight GI?

I had major issues getting my branch from 4.9 to 4.10 but I believe that is because of Turbulence. I am skipping 4.10 due to the issues, and will focus on a 4.11 release, where I will most likely be dropping Turbulence.

Thanks for the heads-up , nice to hear something from you ^^ Hopefully 4.11 will be less painful :slight_smile:

oh no not turbulence :frowning:

Yeah was taking an extended break to visit family and do other things, but am starting to get back into the swing of things, so yeah hopefully upgrading to 4.11 is nice and easy

Yeah unfortunately, Turbulence requires that the DLLā€™s are recompiled (Which can only be done by NVIDIA) as Epic have made changes to the Library, causing the versions to now be different to the NVIDIA version. So each time a new engine comes out, I have to obtain new DLLā€™s from NVIDIA. Its easier for me to just drop Turbulence and focus on the other techs.

Hi guys.

After while i started up galaxymans branch to test some FLEX ideas but instead ended up messing with VXGI reflections. is result.

v=WGIeOHN3qPo

Have a nice day.

Thanks for your continued efforts ! I patiently await your 4.11 build

That looks really good . Would you be willing to share that project? Iā€™m interested in seeing how the reflections perform on some of my mesh materials. Thank you

Well the project is big with lot of scenes and assets and it is a big mess so i dont want to share it. But there is nothing special. Just enable VXGI diffuse and specular, enable multibounce and set some good values for r.vxgi.range to fit your scene and thats it.

Can you please upload that amazing sample you made (if you can as standalone)? Thanks.

When i get to computer ill try to compile it and upload it somewhere.

Hello guys. Iā€™m still having FPS drop problem since 4.8 release. Iā€™m still with 4.8 but i want to use newer versions :frowning: In 4.8 Everything works smooth. But newer versions of vxgi 4.9, 4.10 when i enable diffuse tracing fps drops to 5. I thought it was performance problem but when i change my settings nothing happens. It just stuck with 5fps. I tried to increase number of cones to 64 and its same 5fps. Lowering to 4 same, any ideas?
Sometimes it works normal. Sometimes not.

What do people think of video: watch?v=O7fA_JC_R5s

I am rather worried that I wonā€™t get a fully optimised product once Epic start working with Nvidia.

I will probably get blasted by others for , but what a crock of ā€¦ that video has a lot of incorrect information in it. He doesnt understand the tech he is talking about, its all about the visual, and even then its fairly incorrect. and it seems people want to blame NVIDIA for the fact that AMD cards are not as good at tessellation as the NVIDIA cards. Or thats at least the opinion I got from the video author. Which makes no sense.

Look I have no hate for AMD, I love TressFX and the other they have released for free (If I didnt, I wouldnā€™t be implementing TressFX into UE4). But I also love GameWorks, being the owner of both NVIDIA and AMD cards, I have not seen the supposed massive drop in performance that others have seen in GameWorks games using my AMD card. So maybe Iā€™m just one of the lucky few.

I for one will continue to support NVIDIA and their relationship with Epic, but I think its best that the GameWorks techs remain standalone to the engine (as installable plugins at best). way people who think NVIDIA is the devil and dont want to use the GameWorks techs are not forced into it. is a different story since its the primary physics system for UE4 and runs on CPU for both NVIDIA and AMD - I know the video makes mention of and that it still tanks on AMD cards, but as I said, I have not seen myself, so canā€™t really say anything.

I tried the latest version of HairWorks the other day and it seems to be pretty much unusable unfortunately, due to extreme temporal AA ghosting artifacts and completely black shadows (no sky light influence). I hope can be fixed in the not too distant future.

Is there a way to boost indirect lighting for Emissive Color in VXGI for/from a specific material? A node maybe? Because if I take more of the monitor screen texture (Doom Beta), then the static and the monitor surface (via Roughness) are over dominated by the monitor screen texture.

I would like to have more light cast on the ceiling and the floor.

What I want the monitor to look like. Not enough light on the ceiling and the floor, though.

What I want the ceiling and the floor to look like. But the monitor is too bright now.

is the material I use. If I used an actual light actor, I would have also to implement some kind of flickering. So if I just could boots the indirect light emitted by the material, the VXGI would do the flickering for me.

Hi. Just got a quick question regarding Flex on Mac with Unreal. I canā€™t find anywhere if it is or is not supportedā€¦ But Xcode fails the build for Unreal + Flex.
I have an Nvidia graphics card in my MacBook Pro, as well as the latest version of Xcode.

He JackWint3r, i have the same problem with building Flex on Mac. I canĀ“t find a solution for fixing and i also canā€™t find anywhere if it is or is not supported.

Instead i have installed Windows to build and use it.
Now i run into a, i hope somebody, maybe can help me out.
IĀ“ve ported Ā“s repo and updated it to 4.10.4, and opened more Funtions for Blueprint.
So, now iĀ“m able to spawn Flex Fluid in Game and use it as projectile. But when ever i spwan the projectile i got a small freeze.
I thought i could use a own thread for , but i canĀ“t get it run. I would be happy if someone has the time to spent me a little help.

I believe FLEX supports Mac as it has OpenGL support, but the UE4 integration does not at time. Its something that I was intending to look at further down the path, but I canā€™t promise itā€™ll work on Mac as I dont own one, the most I could do is ensure that it works via OpenGL on windows.

I havent had much time as of late to get back to my GameWorks branch, so I canā€™t really help with your question, but around March I will be getting back into it and bringing support to 4.11 (Skipping 4.10 although I did recently get HairWorks, WaveWorks, VXGI and HBAO+ working with 4.10). At that time, feel free to send me your additional blueprint functions (If you want) and I will merge them.

I have both AMD and NVIDIA cards and my is even on my 980ti it is doing things like , maybe I am setting it up wrong but when I disable VXGI it looks fine but with it enabled lighting and particles go crazy and fps is 0. I have to turn the mode to unlit to even do anything in editor and happens on my 980ti and my AMD 390x. I like nvidia and amd but when their tech is having issues on their own cards then I have a problem. For my game I want to support NVIDIA tech but because SOOO many people are having issues with it I am forced to set it up in settings for enabling and disabling it. On my titan x I am not getting these issues at all but not everyone has the money to go out and buy the titan x just to play a video game. What I would like to see is NVIDIA playing a little nicer like AMD is and either making things open source or fixing up their gameworks so it can be ran on either NVIDIA or AMD cards, either way they wonā€™t be losing an sale from me as I will continue to buy both cards to ensure my game works good on both cards so no matter who plays it they can all enjoy it without issues.

I do disagree with that video however trying to make them evil, I get that NVIDIA doesnā€™t need to do more work to make it compatible for AMD graphics card and they own all rights to their product and do not have to make it open source at all however if they did make it open source then they would get more people using it which they could do something like epic games is doing if they arenā€™t already and get money off games/products using their tech. That way even if it is open source no rival company would be able to steal their hard work and they will get more people using their technology and buying their cards as their cards will always have better performance for it, just other cards wonā€™t be super bottlenecked and become unusable.