Nelo. A game by Magic & Mirrors

If everything is working so well in BP why change it over to C++?

This looks incredible!

I am not a programmer, and please correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t C++ faster than BP?
I know this was the case with kismet (ucscript was much faster). Is that still the case with BP vs. C++?

Project looks really nice! Keep up the good work! :wink:

BP performance is about equal to uscript. Which means C++ is about 10x faster than BP (on average).

Seems about right :slight_smile: Definitely one of several good reasons to implement it in C++ rather than BP.

Devs have said in the live streams that BP is almost as fast as C++. It’s essentially just C++ snippets represented spatially.

Just saw new concepts they look awesome.

Very cool! Will definitely keep an eye on this one :slight_smile:

Re: performance on the blueprints, we followed up a bit more here: [Twitch] Fortnite Developers Discussion - Apr. 17, 2014 - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums toward the middle of the post. was trying to indicate that you are mostly calling back to functionality in C++, but there is an overhead involved in doing so. Code written purely in C++ will be faster than its equivalent in blueprints.

To Be Honest, I wanted to rewrite the core gameplay in C++ because some of my blueprint classes keep getting corrupt. I don’t think starting in BP was a bad idea. it’s easy to iterate and try new things with instant feed back/debugging. and BP works like a guideline when rewriting in C++. I’ll have no need to make small things like interactive environment objects (like destructible cars and barrels for example) with C++. but I feel the Core Gameplay needs to be made in C++ at the end of the day. from my experience BPs can be potentially unstable, and I’m sure this is something Epic is already working on improving. I can’t call my self a programmer (I’m more from a 3D art background)and I’ve never used C++ before but I wouldn’t be able to write anything if it wasn’t for making the game in BP first as well as Epic being very clear with their documentation and providing material to dissect like shootergame for example. so I would like to thank Epic Games for being on top of making their engine the most designer friendly platform I’ve ever worked with.

In the day and age where you are often restricted to carrying two weapons and forced to switch between them one at a time,
you create a game in which you can wield four of them at once.

Dat gameplay :expressionless: So furious !
I can’t wait for the next update :wink:

Yeah that looks pro to my eyes

This sums it up pretty well, couldn’t have said it any better. clap

Where Can I Pre-Order?

Just watched the video again and I have to admit that this is transcending just being a “game” and is looking more like a work of Art. Congratulations! What are your plans for platforms?

What a shame! I guess it did seem too good to be true. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also in response to some of the YouTube criticism: Don’t tone the speed down. People like complaining and are too used to painfully slow cover shooters that demand nothing of the player.

Would be interested in the reason for porting the blueprints to C++. Are you just optimizing early or did you really see a spike in your profiles that caused you to look into converting them into C++?

Sometimes I feel if I’d just replace the character models with abstract shapes nobody would complain about the flashy effects and speed.
the sparky effects are a wink at HD retro shooter aesthetics. maybe because the explosions not being rainbow colors is why it’s not clicking to some.

Yeah that could be :confused: It’s strange because the Giger-inspired aesthetic your characters and levels have was strongly associated with Doom and Quake style shooters not that long ago, and those at their fastest are of comparable speed to how Nelo moves.

Perhaps YouTube itself is causing some of the problem? I know when I view many of my own special effects in a small frame or through the haze of video compression they appear to clutter the screen far more than they actually do during live gameplay.

Guys, honestly: that looks INCREDIBLE! Game speed, lit particles, LIT PARTICLES EVERYWHERE! Keep it up!