Nanite meshes placed with foliage tool not selectable

Hi,
I think there is a bug with nanite meshes when placing them with the foliage tool in UE5 (at least I don’t really think it is intended behavior, but what do I know, I’m new). If you add a nanite enabled static mesh to the foliage tool, lets say a tree trunk or a big rock, and then proceed tp place them around your level, they become unable to be selected with the individual select tool for foliage. Since you placed them with the foliage tool however, you can’t individually move them around like normal static meshes either. Nanite seems to work just fine when placing assets with the foliage tool and the assets also look fine, it is just that you can no longer individually select them to move them around after placing them with a brush.

Haven’t had this problem.

Hi, are you still having this problem or you have found a solution?

@NoticeableScout Really? You are able to move and rotate individual nanite foilage instances without any issues?

What you need to use is “Lasso Select” with “Single Instance Mode” (SIM) enabled (optional). You can easily move, rotate, or scale whatever mesh you select with it.

Shortcuts:

• Hold I to enable SIM until released
  • Shift + LMB to deselect your mesh
4 Likes

Thanks. It works sometimes. Doesn’t work most times.

Kinda reinforces the issues that some things work in ue5 for some people, doesn’t work for others.

I couldn’t get lasso select to work in SIM. Had to turn off single instance mode, then it would work. Just touched tree, not draw circle around it. Then had to pick the “Select” tool to move it. Pain in the rear, jumping back and forth, but at least I could move instanced trees off the pathway. Any object set with Nanite behaved this way.

Hello, I’d like to mention that this has been happening to me as well but it’s not restrictive to nanite objects but any object. Sometimes the editor bugs out and i can’t select anything or I can but everything is yellow (selected) but only what I selected can be moved around. Sometimes the editor also makes all the landscape items highlighted when they’re not selected and it only goes away after restarting the editor or sometimes if I’m lucky after testing the game one or two times.

I can confirm that this is a bug in the 5.0 release. Dealing with it right now actually.

1 Like

Same problem here. When I select a mesh with foliage Select or Lasso it seems to be selected, but the gizmo activates in other mesh. I tryed paintin three meshes, first and second switch their selection and third is ok. Weird.

I still have this bug in 5.1, can’t select some foliage, not with the lasso tool or any selection tool available. I know 5.1 is still in testing, but will this be fixed in the actual release?

1 Like

It seems that even in the official release of 5.1 this is still the problem. When selecting instanced meshes the pivot point appears on other meshes. This is really a problem not being able to transform and edit instanced static meshes after being painted!!

2 Likes

Same problem for me. Selecting an individual tree selects a different tree somewhere.

1 Like

Hi ! I’m having the exact same problem !

This still seems to be an issue in 5.2 branch too.

Same issue here in 5.1.1 (only affects nanite meshes apparently)…

It seems this commit fixes the issue https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/92fef3f65258933d27c9e31957a8b87d27beaf5a

2 Likes

try typing “r.nanite 0” into the command bar, make your changes as desired and type “r.nanite 1” again. Helped me in some cases but not with all objects.

Same issue. Hoping this will be fixed soon!

Still having this same issue in 5.2, Lasso method doesn’t work for me either.

Hey, the link doesn’t work anymore. Thanks!