My Steam Advanced Session Have many problems

Hello, I’m currently facing several issues with my Steam setup. Essentially, I have a session creation and search system that’s quite standard, but I’m encountering multiple problems:

I can only link Steam to my app ID (my own) when I compile the game in development mode.
The game works perfectly when I test it on the same machine, but as soon as I use two separate machines, I encounter this error:

2024.05.05-19.17.43:980][173]LogSockets: Warning: GetAddressInfo failed to resolve host with error SE_HOST_NOT_FOUND [11001]
[2024.05.05-19.17.43:980][173]LogNet: UNetConnection::Close: [UNetConnection] RemoteAddr: , Name: IpConnection_2147454007, Driver: PendingNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147454008, IsServer: NO, PC: NULL, Owner: NULL, UniqueId: INVALID, Channels: 2, Time: 2024.05.05-19.17.43
[2024.05.05-19.17.43:980][173]LogNet: UChannel::Close: Sending CloseBunch. ChIndex == 0. Name: [UChannel] ChIndex: 0, Closing: 0 [UNetConnection] RemoteAddr: , Name: IpConnection_2147454007, Driver: PendingNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147454008, IsServer: NO, PC: NULL, Owner: NULL, UniqueId: INVALID
[2024.05.05-19.17.43:981][173]LogNet: Error: UEngine::BroadcastNetworkFailure: FailureType = PendingConnectionFailure, ErrorString = Your connection to the host has been lost., Driver = PendingNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147454008
[2024.05.05-19.17.43:981][173]LogNet: Warning: Network Failure: PendingNetDriver[PendingConnectionFailure]: Your connection to the host has been lost.

Additionally, I either get kicked back to the menu, or the create/join session button stops working.

Finally, when I do find a session, it shows a 9999 ping (I understand this to mean there’s a problem with Steam, but I haven’t found a solution).

I’ve been searching for solutions for two months, but to no avail. I’ve already changed my defaultEngine, reloaded the plugins, etc.

If someone could help me via message (let me know what you need me to send you), I would be very grateful.

(I’M USING UE 4.26.2)

I haven’t gone to any effort to fix mine but i will say the AppID shoudn’t be an issue
my game is currently unreleased, i have a friend “search for sessions” and it shows up with the proper ping and all that it’s not joinable but i believe that comes down to port forwarding for me as far as the actual join this is in UE 5.2

ill send you over some screenshots of how im doing it here in a bit to try and help

If you haven’t already you’ll also need a txt called “steam_appid.txt” inside this text document put your appid

i forget where but there’s somewhere in the engine you can put this as well if your having problems in the editor/standalone

when you load your map make sure the options has “listen”

9999 tells me it never communicates with steam but i could be wrong
hope this leads you in the right direction sorry its not a direct answer i hardly understand this networking stuff imo could be 100x simpler if Epic gave a care and big studios didn’t just have people that understand networking

it would be so nice if there were just check boxes for replication
client->Update condition
server->Update condition
all clients->Update condition

^ would be nice :sweat_smile:

Hi thank you very much for your answer I have already put the “'steam app_id” and already modified the defaultEngine.ini. When I package the game in development mode my steam overlay (shift + tab) with my game is displayed.

However here is an error that I have when launching the program I hope this will help find a solution

LogSteamShared: Steam SDK Loaded!
LogOnline: OSS: Creating online subsystem instance for: Steam
LogOnline: Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()
LogOnline: OSS: Unable to create OnlineSubsystem module Steam
LogSteamShared: Warning: SteamAPI failed to initialize, conditions not met.
LogSteamController: SteamController is not available

I’m not an expert in this area but i think some of the online subsystem steam only works in packaged for release you may try this as well and see

This may be of some help if you haven’t already been there

otherwise unfortunately i have no idea
another thing to check would be to make sure the steam app itself is allowed through the firewall correctly

for me i did this for my steam client it was already as it was supposed to be
and when i launched my game for the first time a popup appeared asking

here is a picture of what i mean that i just grabbed from the internet of course instead of java it would say YourGameUnreal or something i honestly didn’t pay attention when mine popped up
Screenshot 2024-05-18 123628

did your app ever have this popup?

Heres every video that i followed to get mine working maybe you’ll notice something you missed
luckily i save bookmarks like a super nerd

Setup API:

App ID:

Probably unrelated but also may as well you might need it soon if you haven’t done already, Achievements:

Cheers, sorry i don’t understand net drivers but this may at least take you in the right direction