SteamAPI failed to initialize.

Using 4.25 With Advanced Steam Sessions, packaged development build using my app ID. If i build it out with app id of 480 everything works.

On one test PC I get this

LogSteamShared: Display: Loading Steam SDK 1.47
LogSteamShared: Steam SDK Loaded!
LogOnline: OSS: Creating online subsystem instance for: Steam
LogSteamShared: Warning: SteamAPI failed to initialize, conditions not met.
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamUtils() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamUser() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamFriends() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamRemoteStorage() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamUserStats() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamMatchmakingServers() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamApps() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamNetworking() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamMatchmaking() failed!
LogOnline: STEAM: [AppId: 0] Client API initialized 0
LogOnline: STEAM: [AppId: 1308960] Game Server API initialized 1
LogOnline: Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()
LogSteamShared: Unloading the Steam server APIā€¦

on another I get this

LogSteamShared: Display: Loading Steam SDK 1.46
LogSteamShared: Steam SDK Loaded!
LogOnline: OSS: Creating online subsystem instance for: Steam
LogOnline: STEAM: Steam User is subscribed 1
LogOnline: STEAM: [AppId: 1308960] Client API initialized 1
LogOnline: STEAM: [AppId: 1308960] Game Server API initialized 1
LogOnline: OSS: TryLoadSubsystemAndSetDefault: Loaded subsystem for module [Steam]

but both fail to create sessions.

[2020.06.15-21.24.11:831][778]LogSockets: Warning: Unable to load SocketSubsystem module Steam
[2020.06.15-21.24.11:977][778]LogNet: ReplicationDriverClass is null! Not using ReplicationDriver.
[2020.06.15-21.24.11:977][778]LogNetCore: DDoS detection status: detection enabled: 0 analytics enabled: 0
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:086][778]LogNet: Warning: Failed to init net driver ListenURL: /Game/Maps/LobbyLevel??listen: SteamSockets: setsockopt SO_BROADCAST failed (0)
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:093][778]LogNet: Error: UEngine::BroadcastNetworkFailure: FailureType = NetDriverListenFailure, ErrorString = SteamSockets: setsockopt SO_BROADCAST failed (0), Driver = GameNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147481061
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:093][778]LogNet: Warning: Network Failure: GameNetDriver[NetDriverListenFailure]: SteamSockets: setsockopt SO_BROADCAST failed (0)
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:101][778]LogNet: NetworkFailure: NetDriverListenFailure, Error: ā€˜SteamSockets: setsockopt SO_BROADCAST failed (0)ā€™
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:101][778]LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GameInstanceinfo_C_2147482607]
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:144][778]LogWorld: Failed to listen: SteamSockets: setsockopt SO_BROADCAST failed (0)
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:144][778]LogNet: DestroyNamedNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147481061 [GameNetDriver]
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:144][778]LogSockets: Warning: SteamSockets: Cannot get information on an invalid socket handle, returning null
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:144][778]LogExit: GameNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147481061 shut down
[2020.06.15-21.24.12:144][778]LogNet: Error: LoadMap: failed to Listen(/Game/Maps/LobbyLevel??listen)

DefultEngine.ini additions

[/Script/Engine.GameEngine]
+NetDriverDefinitions=(DefName=ā€œGameNetDriverā€,DriverClassName=ā€œOnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriverā€,DriverClassNameFallback=ā€œOnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriverā€)

[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=Steam
PollingIntervalInMs=20
bHasVoiceEnabled=false

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bInitServerOnClient=true
bEnabled=true
SteamDevAppId=1308000
GameServerQueryPort=27015
bRelaunchInSteam=false
GameVersion=1.0.0.0
bVACEnabled=1
bAllowP2PPacketRelay=true
P2PConnectionTimeout=90

[/Script/OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver]
NetConnectionClassName=OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetConnection

[Plugins]
+EnabledPlugins=VaRestPlugin

[PacketSimulationSettings]
PktLag=0
PktLagVariance=0
PktLoss=0
PktOrder=0
PktDup=0

Please send help.

Same problem here!

Solved: I was missing the .ico for the game. It is a 32x32.ico file. Once I uploaded the client image that and published the changes to steam it was able to create sessions. In order to test the server/lobby, I also had to create a key for my other test steam account so it would also have a valid copy.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the same boat. I just got my steam ID today and plugged it in. Now the build is saying the same thing. Can you please elaborate on this .ico file that you needed? Client image? Iā€™m confused! lol

i have the same issue, what is this .ico file ??

LogSteamShared: Warning: SteamAPI failed to initialize, conditions not met.
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamUtils() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamUser() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamFriends() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamRemoteStorage() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamUserStats() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamMatchmakingServers() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamApps() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamNetworking() failed!
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steamworks: SteamMatchmaking() failed!
LogOnline: STEAM: [AppId: 0] Client API initialized 0
LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steam API failed to initialize!

1 Like

I had the same problem. I had already setup the .ico file, so that wasnā€™t my problem. Testing from my dev pc worked but another pc with a different steam account didnā€™t. What worked for me was to add that other steam account to the app:

1. Login to steamworks (https://partner.steamgames.com/).
  2. Go to Users & Permissions ā†’ Manage Users.
  3. Click ā€œInvite Userā€ button and follow the process, which will do some email back and forth to invite/approve, etc.

BTW: The .ico file can be edited by going to the steamworks dashbord ā†’ your app ā†’ Edit Steamworks Settings ā†’ Community ā†’ Assets.

Aside from the .ico I had to create default packages. To do this go to steamworks, click on your app, then ā€œAll Associated Packages, DLCs ā€¦ā€ etc , Then on the top is a button named something like ā€œCreate Standard Packagesā€. Clicking this, and waiting a little made everything work! In other forum posts they say to contact steam, but it seems that they added a button!