MutiUserServer cannot be started in the In-Camera VFX Quick Start Guide

Overview.

After following the directions in the Quick Start Guide for In-Camera VFX in Unreal Engine, MutiUserServer fails to start at step 5.

Environment

• Hardware
    • Processor: Intel Core i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz
    • Memory: 64.0 GB
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
  • Software
    • Unreal Engine 4.27.2
    • NVIDIA Studio Driver 511.65 (released 2/22/2022)

See also

In-Camera VFX Quick Start Guide

Related Case Studies

Symptom Details

Unreal Editor window

Seems to be working fine.

Switchboard window

• Node_0 in nDispay Devices has been started with Device has been started and the icon is orange.
    • OSC connection is failing.
  • Switchboard Listener appears to be working.
  • The following error occurs
Node_0: nDisplay uasset transfer failed: Error while trying to write to C:\Users\device1\Documents\Unreal Projects\InCameraVFXExample2\Content\nDisplayConfigs\NDC_ICVFXQuickStart.uasset

The logs before and after are as follows

[16:22:12][I]: Connecting to 192.168.100.10:2980
[16:22:12][D]: Node_0: device status change: CONNECTING
[16:22:12][D]: Node_0: device status change: CLOSED
[16:22:14][I]: Node_0: nDisplay config file successfully transferred to C:\Users\device1\AppData\Local\Temp\ndisplay\B0F741CD46EAADB364A663BBFD57BD1B.ndisplay on host
[16:22:14][D]: Node_0: nDisplay uasset transfer failed: Error while trying to write to C:\Users\device1\Documents\Unreal Projects\InCameraVFXExample2\Content\nDisplayConfigs\NDC_ICVFXQuickStart.uasset
[16:22:14][D]: start "Multi User Server" "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.27\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealMultiUserServer.EXE" -CONCERTSERVER=ICVFXQuickStart_MU_Server -ConcertClean -UDPMESSAGING_TRANSPORT_UNICAST="192.168.100.10:9030" -UDPMESSAGING_TRANSPORT_MULTICAST="230.0.0.1:6666"
[16:22:14][D]: Config File: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.27\Engine\Plugins\VirtualProduction\Switchboard\Source\Switchboard\configs\ICVFXQuickStart.json updated
[16:22:14][I]: Launching UE4: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.27\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe "C:\Users\device1\Documents\Unreal Projects\InCameraVFXExample2\InCameraVFXExample2.uproject" -game -messaging -dc_cluster -nosplash -fixedseed -NoVerifyGC -noxrstereo -xrtrackingonly -RemoteControlIsHeadless -StageFriendlyName=Node_0 -MaxGPUCount=2 -dc_cfg="C:\Users\device1\AppData\Local\Temp\ndisplay\B0F741CD46EAADB364A663BBFD57BD1B.ndisplay" -dx12 -dc_dev_mono -dc_node=Node_0 Log=Node_0.log -ini:Engine:[/Script/Engine.Engine]:GameEngine=/Script/DisplayCluster.DisplayClusterGameEngine,[/Script/Engine.Engine]:GameViewportClientClassName=/Script/DisplayCluster.DisplayClusterViewportClient,[/Script/Engine.UserInterfaceSettings]:bAllowHighDPIInGameMode=True -ini:Game:[/Script/EngineSettings.GeneralProjectSettings]:bUseBorderlessWindow=True -unattended -handleensurepercent=0 -UDPMESSAGING_TRANSPORT_MULTICAST="230.0.0.1:6666" -UDPMESSAGING_TRANSPORT_UNICAST="192.168.100.10:0" -UDPMESSAGING_TRANSPORT_STATIC="192.168.100.10:9030" -ExecCmds="DisableAllScreenMessages" -fullscreen -CONCERTRETRYAUTOCONNECTONERROR -CONCERTAUTOCONNECT -CONCERTSERVER=ICVFXQuickStart_MU_Server -CONCERTSESSION=ICVFXQuickStart_Session_001 -CONCERTDISPLAYNAME=Node_0 -CONCERTISHEADLESS 
[16:22:14][I]: Node_0: unreal with id 6fa5a734-3b58-480b-83fb-c3417740ef82 was successfully started
[16:22:14][D]: Node_0: device status change: OPEN

Open ports

Port 2980 of the Switchboard Listener is opening correctly, but Port 9030 of the Multi User Server, which should be open, is not.

SwitchboardListener window

The following error output is looping

LogWindows: Warning: CreateProc failed: ???????????????????? (0x000002e4)
LogWindows: Warning: URL: ../../../Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/PresentMon/Win64/PresentMon64-1.5.2.exe -session_name session_24660 -output_stdout -dont_restart_as_admin -terminate_on_proc_exit -stop_existing_session -process_id 24660
LogSwitchboard: Error: Could not start FlipMode monitor  ../../../Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/PresentMon/Win64/PresentMon64-1.5.2.exe

Multi User Server window

The following error is repeatedly output 180 times.

LogUdpMessaging: Warning: FUdpMessageProcessor::ProcessDataSegment: Failed to serialize DataChunk. Sender=192.168.100.10:53254

Execution rights for PresentMon

The execution permissions for PresentMon64-1.5.2.exe are Execute this program as administrator for all users, so that all applications can run it.

Please tell me how to fix the glitches.
I am new to the Unreal Engine, so detailed support would be helpful.

Thank you.

Hey @anonymous_user_0ded1030, you’ll have more luck finding folks who might have an answer for you in the Virtual Production category: Virtual Production - Unreal Engine Forums

The VP industry has taken the “XR” term to also include “in-camera VFX”, but everything XR in Unreal Engine is for VR/AR/MR.

Do you use Multiuser server to control the output screen of ndisplay in Incamera vfx using the engine? Is auto join checked in switchboard setting? If it is, add ue4 from the switchboard to the pc you want to control and run it, then check whether multiserver is created in the executed ue4 first, and it will probably work if you run ndisplay.

Thanks for the advice.
I wasn’t sure of the proper category and now I understand.

I am using a multi-user server to control the Incamera vfx ndisplay output screen using the engine. Also, the automatic coupling is checked in the switchboard settings is fine.I was controlling with a single PC as in the Quick Start Guide procedure, but the Multi User Server did not start.
Thank you.

Self resolved.
We tried it on multiple devices and found that some devices worked without problems and others did not.

It was due to multiple issues.
The problems are listed below.

• The network settings on Windows misunderstood the public network and private network settings, and the range of communication allowed by Windows Firewall was incorrect.
  • The installation performed when switchboard was first started did not work correctly and the Python plugin installation failed.
    • I was able to resolve this issue in UE5 with switchboard’s dependency reinstallation feature.
    • I have not found a solution for UE4.
  • Unrelated to this issue, there was a time when I could not install the Unreal Engine from the Epic Game Launcher. A colleague of mine who was installing at the same time was also tripped up by not being able to install, so I decided to use the install server (edge server of CDN?). We believe that there was a problem with the

Thanks to all who helped.

3 Likes

Supplementation.
The PresentMon error has not been resolved.

I also did not have the switchboard plug-in python installed.
When running Swtichboard for the first time, the project file must be in the c: drive to be installed, and I was not installed in any other path.

Good work

You need to run the listener as administrator.
I have setup a script that runs this as high privileged and it fixed the exact same issues as your screenshots shown above