Movie Render Queue - physics go crazy

When using the new movie render queue and overriding TAA, instead using spatial and temporal samples, the physics in my scene go crazy, bouncing around for no reason. A few particles also shoot off into the sky.

This doesn’t happen when playing in editor, and also doesn’t happen when I use the movie render queue with TAA, leaving temporal and spatial samples at 1.

I should note that the crazy behavior doesn’t happen immediately as if it’s an issue of insufficient warmup time, but happens throughout the render.

Is this a known bug, and does anyone have any insight into fixing it?

I would really like to take advantage of the high quality motion blur and AA

Update: It’s definitely the temporal samples. when I set spatial at 8 and temporal at 1, everything is normal. When I reverse it, setting spatial at 1 and temporal at 8, I start seeing the physics problems with my objects randomly bouncing and shooting around the scene.

1 Like

Have you found any further solutions or setting that work?

Hello. Can you follow those steps :

1. Go to Project Settings > Engine >
    General Settings > Framerate

2. Enable Fixed Framerate and set value
    30 FPS or 60 FPS

3. Go to Project Settings > Engine >
    Physics

4. Set Max Physics Delta Time 0.016667

5. Enable Substepping and set value
    0.019231 and Max Substeps 4

And last,try render with Sequencer.

NOTE : It’s worked for me. But i can not render with Ray Tracing. Physics not working for RTX Rendering for me.

I’ll try this out. Thanks a bunch! I’ll keep running tests on my end as well. This is frustrating.

If you add motion blur it will be fix :slight_smile: But amount has to be 1. Then you can change your anti alliasing sample as you want.
It took myt couple day to fix it :slight_smile:

This is what did it for me. Changing motion blur amount to 1 in the post process volume stopped the cloth physics from going crazy using multiple temporal samples in the movie render queue. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey Psgor,

Thank you so much for that!
I had come to the point of using the old rendering method (directly from sequencer) with the graphic problems that caused… or even disabling physics clothing.
As if by magic, activating blurring (value 1) in postprocess volume puts an end to this problem.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi all. I also have this problem with Movie Render Queue making my cloth physics go all crazy. Setting motion blur to 1 in a post process volume fixes the issue, but I wish I didn’t have to do that. What is the reason for this bug?

1 Like

did you found any solution?

Yes, like I said: Setting motion blur to 1 in a post process volume fixes the issue.

Does that fix it for you?

The physics problem is still in version 5.1.1
By setting the motion blur to 1 in the post process volume the physics work correctly but the motion blur is too much.
I did a lot of testing and apparently the closer to 0 the motion blur is, the crazier the physics of the cloth get, in my case.
To make a render with motion blur 0.5 I had to turn off the cloth physics in the render queue by setting the console variables p.ClothPhysics to 0.
Setting the motion blur to 0 also affected the movement of the particles leaving them almost still.
My solution was to take several renders in EXR and then compose them in post production.

1 Like

Hello guys,

I was wondering if there is any more feedback on this issue.

It really sucks that the only way cloth physics work is by being tied to high motion blur, which may make a scene look bad.

Okay, the other option is to disable the temporal samples in AA. So only use spatial samples. Temporal samples break the cloth physics for some reason.

This is what I am trying to avoid though :stuck_out_tongue: Aren’t temporal samples important for render quality?

I guess we can’t do much until it gets fixed, right?

I mean I think if you put spatial samples at something like 16 or 32 and only 1 temporal sample it will still look pretty good! But yes, it would look better with temporal samples as well, but unfortunately that seems broken… I don’t know if UE5.2 fixes it…

1 Like

Actually this issue is fixed in Unreal Engine 5.2!!!

Check it out!!

So if you upgrade to UE5.2 I think that you can set temporal samples higher than 1 and it will work properly with the cloth simulation now.

Wooot!

2 Likes

Yeah, I tried that, it looks much better than the old one,but still have some jittering artifact, which looks less nature than the no temperal sample version.Can you fit that ? How to set up perfectly to let it acts like no sample? sorry for my bad english.

You’re on your own dude, sorry. I don’t anticipate looking into this for a while, and I would just go with what works with the temporal settings and just not worry about it being a little off…

Yeah,if it work as the normal one it would be perfect!