MMO Starter Kit

Thanks ! We would very much love it if you would honour us with your presence in the discord! I will personally hand you the rank of MMOKit Dev or whatever you want! :slight_smile:

I have a problem with getting VaRest to work
b4dbc4a0f03fc6b03f7d7f5d746d95ee.png

Since it’s MMO Kit version 1.9, are you using UE 4.15 from github? Did you compile the project (mmokit) in VS?

Can you be a bit more specific, how is this thing happening?

Hello spartan Just wanna know do you have a character builder for sale somewhere?

Hi, nope. It was planned and the biggest chunk of work was done, but I didn’t have a good example male and female model, and the idea was shelved. Wouldn’t even find the sources now, it was back in 4.11 or something like that.

And now there’s this editor on the marketplace: Custom Character Creator in Blueprints - UE Marketplace
It’s not as good, but it’s ok.

Good evening

So here’s my issue, hoping someone can help me figure out whats going on.

Background: I have followed Silent Ox Studio’s tutorials on setting this up. Thus far, all tests have been spot on and I matched my results directly with his. I launch the chat server, and the server itself. I do not see any indicators in the server log that are negative, (However I may not know what to look for.) I have not migrated to UE4 4.16 or the MMO 1.10 kit yet as I’m not sure quiet how to make that migration.

UE4 verion 4.15.3
MMO-Starter Kit - 1.9
Windows 10 64-bit

**Issue: **
–> When I open the Launcher, it patches, when I hit ‘Play’ it makes a sound and nothing happens.
–> Additionally, if I launch through the .exe file in my downloaded game. I can log in to character select. But the character will not load into the world. I do not see any indication from the server log that something is trying to load in and failing.

**Steps: **

• I have taken the full series of tutorials by Silent Ox with great results and am not finding any discrepancies that I can see in my files, uploads, directories, etc.
  • I have launched the servers on 2 different desk tops, same results.
  • When doing it “locally”, no issues.
  • I have uploaded a new version of the game. To include logging into my index.php and redeployed. No known issues.

Questions: Regarding the computer hosting

1. Do I need to have anything besides the server running? Like the game open in the editor or something?
  2. Do I need to do any VS builds on the hosting computer?
  3. Is there a specific log or screen shot I can post to help troubleshoot?
  4. How do I get the MMO Kit 1.10 for 4.16, I dont think I have a selfy log in that I know of?

I am on the discord channel. Nightvain is my name on there.

I’m not sure what else to put in here that might be useful. The only thing I notice, and I’m not sure if its normal or not, “No hash.xml detected. No new version to deploy.” when I am logged into my index.php. However when I look at my file structure within my hosting services file manager, I do see a hash.xml.

Any help would be appreciated.

I’d also like to thank Silent Ox for the tutorials, and for the kit. Really fantastic work and my team is very grateful. Thank you.

Most likely, the LauncherSettings.ini file doesn’t point correctly to the .exe. It should be like ExePath=Game/CleanThirdPerson.exe unless you renamed something. Check that there is actually a Game/CleanThirdPerson.exe.
If you’re sure it’s pointing correctly, launch the launcher from visual studio and check the log for errors.

Either the IP in the game client isn’t filled in correctly, or there is a firewall/router problem. You can try making a shortcut of your game client and adding “server-IP -game” as arguments. So for example, “…/Game.exe” 127.0.5.15 -game. If the game client can reach the server, you’re at least going to see something in the server log, and the client will load the map, even though it most likely won’t get a character because it skipped the login process.

1. no
  2. no
  3. no, I understood the questions
  4. you should

This is normal behavior. I don’t remember the specifics, but it looks for some new hash file (not the hash.xml you see in the root) that tells the deployer that there is a new version to deploy. But like it says, there is no new version to deploy, simple as that.

Thank you for the reply. I spent quite a bit of time trouble shooting as well as looking at where you pointed me. What I noticed was the following:

1. When I launch the chat server, then launch the actual server. The chat server was not picking it up.
  2. I cleaned out the Game folder and tried to re-download the deployed version, which it did not do.
  3. As I had said, when I ran locally, everything worked.

I reexamined my settings files multiple times and didn’t find anything that looked incorrect. However I was able to get the 1.10 kit down and am now going through setting up the 1.10 / 4.16 version. Fortunately I had not migrated any of my game development in yet, so starting the kit fresh has no impact other then time, which is fine because I’m learning a lot.

Never could figure out what was going on. But we’ll see how I do on the 1.10 / 4.16 set up.

If you don’t mind a follow up question. If I want other people to download the launcher, install, and have it located in their C:\Program Files (x86)(Mystudio game folder). What would you suggest as the best method to do that?

Could I do something like ExePath=C:\Program Files (x86)(Mystudio game folder)/CleanThirdPerson.exe on the LauncherSettings.ini ?

Thank you again for your time in replying. I am very grateful.

Answer, please, to the question: if you create an instance of location, the maximum number of players in the location will increase? For example, there is a location on which there are 150 players, from the same location an instance is made and 150 more players are placed on it, it turns out that there are 300 players in one location, but they see only each soy of 150 players. Does it work that way?
their*

You say that locally everything works, but what is your exact remote setup that is failing?
You’ve got a separate PC? On which you launch the chat server first, and then the dedicated server, and the server somehow fails to connect to the chat server, even though it’s still 127.0.0.1 that it has to connect to? It works as intended on your local machine, but on your remote machine it’s not performing the exact same operations?

You have to delete localHash.xml and ZipSize.xml in your launcher directory on your PC if you want the launcher to redownload the game.

You can, but then you have to remove line 80 from Program.cs:

Also, don’t mix slashes and backslashes like in your example. On windows, use backslashes.

Also, make sure you put the correct value into extractDir on line 354:

It should be your ExePath minus the name of the .exe file, and probably minus the last backslash. Although I’m not sure about the latter. Try and see which one works.

Also, anti-viruses often get triggered if you start manipulating files in Program Files (x86), so I’d avoid that particular path.

Yes.

Hopefully I can explain the remote set up properly.

• I stopped trying to do this with 2 computers, and am doing it with my main desktop. IF I can get this launching after downloading the game, I will go on from there.
  • In VS, I have a successful Development Server build.
  • Packaged game, successful.
  • I upload the game per your instructions. Upload through my ftp to the website File Manager is successful.
  • I follow your instructions for deploying the new version through the website index.php steps. That deploys successfully.
  • I start the chat server, successful
  • I run the E:_AE2017Dev4.15\02.DevBuild\AtlasExpanseOnline_v0.21\Binaries\Win64\AtlasExpanseOnlineServer.exe, that appears to launch successfully. I did fix an issue where the chat server is now picking up the server connection, I got my IP into the getmmoserver.php, I believe that step was missed yesterday. So the chat server is now picking up the server.
  • I run the launcher, it successfully downloads the game.

Here is where I’m finding issues:

• When I hit Play, nothing happens.
  • When I try the AtlasExpanseOnline.exe in the \launcher\Game folder it does not launch. Additionally when I go into the downloaded game directory into \binaries\AtlasExpanseOnline.exe, it also does not launch the game there either unless I include -local with a shortcut (which obviously isn’t what we want.)

I am going to upload a new version and will delete said files to ensure the new version comes down successfully. I have also checked my Settings.ini and LauncherSettings.ini multiple times and am not finding any discrepancies.

Lastly I stayed on the 4.15 / 1.9 build as the 4.16 source from UE’s Github keeps having errors in VS I don’t want to deal with right now, I dont mess with any of those files as I’m not a programmer.

Thanks for the assistance. I hope this is helpful information toward troubleshooting. Will keep working on it and let you know if I get any improved results.

UPDATE:

• Not sure what I did, but when I hit Play it is now launching properly. (Progress! :slight_smile: …)

• Now it won’t enter the world from character select.

• I am running this on my desktop, both chat server, game server and client.

• For some reason the chat server is not seeing the server when I launch it. Still troubleshooting that.

• So I am going to try putting this on softlayer and see if maybe its my computer that is not letting me enter the game world from character select. Perhaps its an issue with my desktop hosting the server and a game client or something. Will start going through your instructions on hosting this on softlayer. Will update when I get results.

UPDATE2:
Good news, bad news.

• Softlayer, Chat Server, Game Server, Chat server picking up the game server. Success.

• Launch the game from launcher, Update patches. Success

• I can log into character select.

• I can delete and create characters, and changes are reflected in my database.

• I can register new accounts, changes reflected in my database.

• But I cannot enter the game world. Any ideas of what the blocker might be or where to look?

Thank you for your patience and time. :slight_smile:

, I paid the bill for the MMO starter kit. I wrote you about this on Skype, but you did not answer. Please give me access to https://sellfy.com/p/fo6a/
:slight_smile:

Does the demo in the first post work for you? It connects to softlayer the same way.

What happens in the output log when you click on Enter World in the menu?

You’re trying to connect from a cooked client, not from the editor, right?

Done. Thank you for the purchase :slight_smile:

Hello, I downloaded demo, registered a char but then on Enter World nothing happens. Are server down?!

Interesting, I cannot enter the gameworld through the Demo on the first page. I was able to register. Maybe a firewall or something? I never have problems connecting to other games. But it seems to be the same blocker in my own?

The output log on the game and chat server shows no indication of any connections being made when I try to enter the game world on my server.

Can I provide you any specific screenshots or logs? Here’s a screenshot of my server and chat server on softlayer.

Oops, server was down. Try again now pls.

At 0351 US Central time on 8June I tried. Made a character and entered on your server.

I do get the attached error log after I bring up the server and tried to log in. Am I missing a file or setting?

Any idea or thoughts on where I should look in my system to see whats blocking me from entering my game? :slight_smile:

This error log is the deployer trying to delete unused files and failing because of some path issues, it seems. This has nothing to do with the game.

First thing that comes to mind of course is that you have some firewall issues.
Another thing is to try launching the client not through launcher, but just finding it where you cooked it and launching the exe there. MAYBE (maybe) the launcher is set up wrong and broke something.

But what I think may have answers is the game client log that fails to connect. Find it in WindowsNoEditor/ProjectName/Saved/Logs and let’s see what’s inside when the problem occurs.

how can i have a input left mouse button attack for the player in your system

Now game crashes after ENTER WORLD…