Update 06/12: 4.26 port + auto re-target on enemy death
Update 11/05: 4.25 port link
Update 16/12: Bug fixes, 4.14 port link
Update 04/09: Animated loading screen, 4.13 port link
Update 28/07: Clans, clan chat, 4.12.5 port link
Update 06/04: A reworked Launcher, aggressive behavior tree, ability to delete characters, 4.11 port link
Update 15/11: Group mechanics, private and group chat, 4.10 port link
Update 04/09: Hotbar, localization support, 4.9 port link
Project Genom - a sci-fi MMO built using MMO Starter Kit has been Greenlit link
Update 26/06: Quests, health regen, 4.8.1 port link
Update 01/03: Equipment and better security, 4.7 port link
Download demo client
(330 MB download, 1.5 GB free space required for the install)
Demo controls: I - inventory, C - equipment, P - abilities
The first video: (pretty outdated!)
I would like to present the project that I’ve been working on for quite some time already - MMO Starter Kit. I have been carrying the idea of an MMO kit for more than a year now, and have tried different engines and approaches, but only when I saw Unreal 4 this became a serious project for me. I believe that Unreal Blueprint system can truly allow anyone to create their own MMO game, and with the engine’s next-gen graphics that game can turn out to be truly fantastic.
Anyways, let me sum up the features that are already present in the MMO kit:
- All source code included
- Fully in Blueprints. I’m an experienced programmer but Blueprints have totally won me over. The only subsystem that I had to code was the connection to the socket chat server and I made it into a plugin so it’s still being accessed from Blueprints.
- Persistent storage of data in a mySQL database. Character position and stats are saved when the character logs off and restored when it enters world again.
- No third-party solution (such as Photon or RakNet) required - so no monthly fees and you are free to host your server anywhere you want. I’m hosting the demo server on Softlayer and will provide detailed instructions on how to set up a server for those who are new to dedicated servers in general.
- Registration, login and character creation.
- Authoritative server
- Launcher/autoupdater that can update the game and itself (separate application, in C#). Because you don’t want to make your users download the full game over again after each minor update
- Combat and targeting
- Roaming and aggressive NPCs that fight back and chase after the player if attacked
- Inventory and loot, droppable items
- Player and NPC respawn
- Combat log
- Classic MMO controls (think World of Warcraft)
- Groups and clans
- Global, private, party and clan chat
- UMG user interface
Closing note: MMO’s are pretty feared in indie gamedev community and new users who have a MMO dream are often laughed at. There’s also an aura of secrecy about them, maintained by people who have once dived into MMOs a little but failed and are unwilling to share their knowledge with the others, prefering to discourage them instead. Well, they are wrong. It is possible to create an MMO, and it doesn’t necessarily cost millions. Just as Unreal 4’s graphics would cost millions to achieve some few years ago, those things just become more available as the time goes. My goal is to create the best MMO kit for Unreal, with extensive documentation that covers not only how to work with the kit from within Unreal, but also things like how to order and set up a dedicated Softlayer server.
Credits: I would like to say thank you to Vladimir Alyamkin (ufna) for his wonderful VaRest Plugin, released under MIT license. It’s people like this who move the indie gamedev community forward.
The authors of the free assets that are used in the demo:
Sword Girl model (used only on the demo server, not distributed) - Bunt Games
Inventory icons - Ravenmore, Flare icons
Black & white icons for empty slots - game-icons.net
Inventory sounds - qubodup, Akeroyc
female voices - AderuMoro, MadamVicious
male voices - Michel Baradari
The map used in the demo is by Epic Games.