MMO Starter Kit

Hi . Do you have any plans to get this into the Marketplace? I am interested in purchasing your package, but I am hesitant in going through 3rd party markets, as I would rather have the surety - so to speak - of content hosted in the Marketplace of the engine that this is so specific to, especially since it is blueprint-based.

Also, I would like to create a roguelike game based on combat that takes place on a more real-time scale, similar to Dark Souls in that players will have two hand slots to equip items, two different mechanics for each item equipped (so for example, a shield can block by holding down the right mouse button, and a click will instead launch a shield-bash of sorts), and area/collision-based combat rather than target-based combat as it seems your kit follows. I suppose an extremely simplified version of Diablo 3 and procedural dungeons is the best way to put it, but in MMO form.

I would also like to know how you handle instancing and moving between areas. So if I were to suddenly spawn a door to an instanced and randomized dungeon, would that work well with your current structure? Or would that take some modifications to the server side to get that working?

I realize that creating something different than what you have out of the box may take a considerable amount of time, but I am greatly interested in purchasing your kit to save time and development costs.

Thanks!

1.2 Release Notes

The new update is now live on the demo server! I plan to upload the public build to Sellfy tomorrow, meanwhile you can log in and check out the new features. :slight_smile:

Release Notes

Quest system

Quest-giving NPCs can be placed in the world, offering quests to the player. Each quest can have several tasks. There are “talk to”, “kill x enemies of certain type” and “bring x items” tasks available.

Health regeneration

Regenerates a portion of health every x seconds if out of combat.

Chat /unstuck command

Use it when the character walks off the edge of the map, etc to teleport to the starting location. Removes the need of manually fixing the character’s position in the database.

Bugfixes:

• fixed item popups staying after inventory/equipment window was closed
  • removed T key triggering teleport (it was left in the build after some debugging)
  • fixed item popups flickering when the mouse was on them
  • fixed inventory bug where you couldn’t add items after 12 slot
  • fixed not being able to click on NPCs through your character

Nice, you are the man!

Killing it! Per usual, Keep it up

Thank you, , for creating this and releasing it. Looking forward to the 1.2 release.

As my obligatory suggestion/wishlist: I think a basic skill system and hotbar would be very well received.

For those who would like to “host” your PHP and MySQL locally (on the same PC you use Unreal Editor), you could try something like Laravel Homestead. It’s basically a virtual machine image for VirtualBox + Vagrant and it comes with PHP 5.6 and MySQL. It’s a bit of trouble to set up, though far less trouble than trying to install a virtual machine, operating system, PHP, etc. individually. It removes the need for finding (and potentially paying for) a web host.

If you’re having an issue where on the login screen you submit your username and password, the game returns a “logged in” message but cannot proceed further, it’s because a PHP error is being generated. I suggest adding this line to mmoconnection.php (because it is included in the other scripts):

error_reporting(0);

Place it above this line:

$servername = ‘www.example.com’;

I’m using a webhost but I think xampp/easyphp/wamp would be easier then setting up a virtual machine dont you think? :stuck_out_tongue:

Is PHP really good? Isnt a Socket Server better, for the login system?

I started this thread for a at home setup… it is the general idea though.

Home set up

Info starts about 4th paragraph down

New build available for download

The new build for UE4 4.8.* is available for download on Sellfy! As always, it’s free for existing customers. For those who’ve missed the build notes, here they are.

I haven’t had any problems using PHP for the login system so I don’t see the need to switch to a socket server. I’m using a socket server for chat though.

Yeah I’ve thought about it. It’s kinda easy to implement yourself though, and I was trying to focus on more difficult stuff - inventory/equipment/quests as some of my priorities. Now that those are out of the way, I will probably add a hotbar soon.

They are not accepting assets that contain code to the Marketplace yet. Regarding “surety”, Sellfy has been around for more than 2 years now, and that’s longer than UE4 Marketplace. :wink:

I haven’t implemented instancing yet but it shouldn’t be very hard to do. You could modify the chat server source code to send a command that would tell the server to launch a new instance. The server would then send back the newly created instance’s port so that the client knows where to connect. Then on the client just use the Load Level blueprint node with the server ip and the received port.

Ahoy, I purchased this kit about a week ago and, although I’ve only tested out the basics of running it locally and communicating with the sql db, I’m very happy thus far. Very excited about the 4.8.1 release, got the e-mail confirmation that there was an update, however the zip I’m DLing from Sellfy is still named 4.7

Are these the correct files, or is my Sellfy not updating for some reason?

Thanks!

P.S. - , totally agree with you on your opinion of what cross-realm stuff did to wow, I missed actually seeing the same players, knowing who they were, the guilds they used to be in, etc.

Hi

Any idea what this is, when closing PIE session after updating MMOKit version 1.2 to UE4.8.1 github ?
2015-06-28 15_28_02-Message Log.png

YES! Thank You again for all your hard work, you’re truly what represents the best of the UE4 Marketplace community.

If anyone is on the fence still about this kit, don’t be! CS is a great person and very helpful!

HI! Love the kit. been looking forward to playing with the updates. However, when I go to download it (I bought the previous version) It is still giving me the 4.7 version on Sellfy. Glitch?

On Selfy, if you login (using facebook or whatever account you have) you’ll then see a Purchases button in the top bar next to your account name. You can grab the update download there.

Busy coming down… awesome!

It Just now updated to the 4.8.1 version for me. Downloading now.

I had the same problem about 15 minutes ago. But I just checked again and it’s now giving me the 4.8.1 version, so give it another go.

EDIT: The 4.8.1 version is 813.1MB.

Great job , many thanks. You’ve taken out a lot of the pain for a lot of people like me that want to give a go at developing their own MMO on the best game engine possible.

Ah ok. That is a process I am looking to perform all on one server. Rather than instances and static levels split apart, I’m hoping to have everything centralized until I require some kind of load balancing. I really don’t want to mess with multiple servers until it is absolutely required.

Unless perhaps that is not currently possible to do all in one server!

I might have an Idea of what is going on.

Did you use the UE4 migrate feature?

or

did you copy it out the content folder?

I encountered the same problem with other projects if you did not migrate :slight_smile: