MMO Starter Kit

How should one go about making a less direct control sheme (i.e. something they have in E.V.E. Online?) movement-wise?

Hey Kiwi!

You would need to build a new player controller + player blueprint, Iā€™m assuming youā€™re trying to build a space game similar to EVE? Where you set the ship/players destination with waypoints and no direct control over the craft? Let me know if this helps ya!

Hey .
The answer would be yes, and then again, no.

I am trying to make a semi-direct control system, yes.
No, it has nothing to do with space or underwater (which is actually a great idea for an E.V.E. clone, someone point me towards a decent venture capitalist), but rather with traditional naval combat as a corner case; but at its core is the idea of a character, instead of a spaceship, being thus controlled.

This means that EVE functionality (orbiting and waypoints) is a necessity, but not the final result.
And I rather think Iā€™d have to design a rudimentary AI for this (different path-finding algorythms), but thatā€™s just haf the fun. Other half comes in designing the system in such a way that it still can be played effrectively by multiple players (happily, that has mostly been pioneered).

I can talk about this at length in private or public, if you like.

Upd: the main bug with 4.8 is fixed internally and hopefully the fix will be released in 4.8.1 hotfix

The transition to 4.8 is going to be delayed, most likely until the first hotfix. It looks like there are a couple of serious bugs in 4.8 :(:

1. https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/241488/48-assertion-failed-result-linkerload.html
  2. [BUG?] Net Load on Client doesn't work in 4.8 - Multiplayer & Networking - Unreal Engine Forums

In EVE Online you can send ships to orbit around something, is this what youā€™re looking for? For that, just send the orbit target from the client to the server and let server handle the orbiting. In any case, to implement any special kind of controller you first need to know how to do it in a single player UE4 project. Once you can do it in single player mode, adding networking or adding the controller to the MMO kit should be easy.

Did they say when that hotfix would be available?

Since Epic is now able to release c++ projects / plugins, any chance for this to hit the marketplace? Orā€¦ is there a chance to release the various ā€œsystemsā€ that are in play as plugins?

i just tested your demo and i have few suggestion

1 - add character creator screen same as this link ( )
2 - fix the chat Unicode problem it wont support Arabic you can try with this word ( ŲŖŲ¬Ų±ŲØŁ‡ )
3 - when i fall down no damage taken also when i jump to water it wont swim
4 - Pressing ( TAB ) to switch between 15 meter targets
5 - auto rotate to fight the target
6 - make new NPC enemy that auto attack when you get 5 meter near them

these would make your source very powerful

Could you link me this info please?

Thanks for the suggestions, several of them was already on my ā€˜plannedā€™ list. :slight_smile: They are not hard to implement yourself though, especially p.4, p.3, p.5.

Good news - the main issue I had with 4.8 has been fixed internally and the fix will most likely be in 4.8.1 hotfix: Game crashes on start - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

That thread is not by a staff member. On the official page (https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/marketplace-submission-guidelines) it still says that code assets will be accepted later. Personally, Iā€™m fine with selling on Sellfy for now.

is there any update on your starter kit? :slight_smile:

Hi xh20s,

The update containing quests is ready, Iā€™m waiting for 4.8.1 hotfix to release it (because of [4.8] Assertion failed Result->LinkerLoad - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums )

An Epic dev responded in the thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Currently,it seems that Epic is still beta-testing the entire plugin feature of the marketplace (see the Substance Plugin) to make sure it works, however, in some of the Twitch videos, they have stated that plugins and C++ will be coming to the launcher during the 4.8 cycle.

I just had to buy this, now i gota get it going :slight_smile:

4.8.1 just hit :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads-up just updated the engine! now to toss this page onto my tv screen and set a auto-refresh to see when this kit gets updated :cool:

I cannot get past the login screen. After I register it just goes back to the Login page, and when I login, it just tells me that I logged in. Any suggestions

Second problem I get when packaging the game: cannot open input file ā€˜F:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.7\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game-Redist-JsonUtilities.libā€™

Checking this forum every 10 mins for the updateā€¦

do you have a basic idea of when you will bring out the new version?
I am holding off doing to much work on the old package that I bought a day ago as it will make my migration easier to do it in 1 hit.

Everyone reading the forum, This package is brilliant and has helped my tiny team along months.
Thanks another happy customer.:cool: