MMO Starter Kit

, thanks for the quick response. You have done a great job on this kit.

Hey guys! just started prodding around and remembered some people asked if this can be used for a first person MMO style game.
oh, its easy…

Open your GuyModularPC, drag Camera onto Mesh (so it attaches)
open viewport (still in GuyModularPC)
click Camera in component section
in details panel, Sockes, attach Camera to the head socket. (click the list to choose from several points)
in camera settings (still detail panel) check Use Pawn Control Rotation
now, in the components tab, click GuyModularPC(self) (should be the one on top)
in the details panel check
Use Controller Rotation Yaw.

first person!

One quick question, if someone decides to purchase this kit then ends up modifying it, tweaking, essentially overhauling and making it their own, how does that work when you go to sell your game? Is there any sort of copyright issues when working with something like this?

in this case, you are paying for the work of setting up the blueprints instead of doing it yourself. copyright is of no matter regarding this kit. :wink:

Ahh…gotcha

No license, no CCU, so no restrictions whatsoever. You own what you buy and you can do with it whatever you want. If you release a game with this code it would be polite to give some credits though :slight_smile:

Guys or Spartan,

Purchased the package today, and really good stuff. However struggling with getting it running fully. Once I try to register a new character it seems like only the user table gets updated (correctly). Character table remains empty.

Thoughts?

C

Sorry Buddy… I don’t… IO know so little about what I am doing it is not funny…

hah, i feel you! never had my hand at a webserver before, this xampp stuff is something else :stuck_out_tongue:

Lok… sent ya a PM

your last name starts with W in Skype right? :slight_smile: answered you there

http://localhost/xampp/mmologin.php

if i go to this adress now the message is:

am i at least on the right track here? in xampp control panel, apace,mysql and filezilla is green :stuck_out_tongue:

i’m looking in the mmologin.php document. but in line 9 in notepad++, i cannot parse what to change. my relevancy with web before has been some simple html editing\markup usage :stuck_out_tongue: sorry!

Did you create a new user for your database when you created the database ? And did you change ‘your username’ and ‘your password’ in the mmoconnection.php script to the user and password you used to create the database ?

You only need to edit the mmoconnection.php, this is called from the other scripts to authenticate and connect to the db.

alright, so i added root as username, since i havent made a username in my setup as far as i can remember? :S also set the root password.
set the dbname to mmo <–correct?

what it gives me now is:

I’m loving your name btw, and ensure myself that every answer i get should really be obvious! hehehe.

It seems that you’re fairly new to database / php… so a word of advice… pick this book up: http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-For-Dummies-Edition/dp/0470527587

I have one a few editions earlier, and I still reference it from time to time.

Nothing is obvious in the beginning, it becomes obvious once you know it :slight_smile:

Ok, first let’s add a user for your db. This is something you should get used to doing, it’s easier to learn than to unlearn bad habits.
Just go to your database in phpadmin like the screen and go to the [Privileges] tab on top. There you can add a new user for this database and for the ease of it just give this user all privileges for this database. If in a later stage you decide to work with someone else on this project you can add a new user like this and just give him / her the privileges he / she needs.

From the looks of it, you’ve already set up the db correctly so that’s ok now.

Next, let’s start again with adding the scripts.

Go to your htdocs folder ( C:\xampp\htdocs ) and create a new folder ( like MMO, this is what i’ll use as an example from now on ) and copy the php scripts to this location. Your scripts should now be in C:\xampp\htdocs\MMO.
Edit the mmoconnection.php

$servername = ‘your ip’;
$username = ‘the username you created in phpmyadmin’;
$password = ‘the password you created in phpmyadmin’;
$dbname = ‘the database name’;

and save it.

Now in your browser go to - http://localhost/MMO/mmologin.php and one of the lines you get should read {“status”:“Login information is incorrect. Check your username and password.”}.This is good and your done with the db/php part.

Now start up the project in Unreal Editor ( i presume you already built it from source ) and edit the JSONRequests blueprint. Open Content / Maps / Start, Go to blueprints - open blueprints class - JSONRequests and change hostname to http://localhost/MMO/ , don’t forget the slash at the end.

Press play and register a new account, if all is correct, this should work now and you can check the users database in phpmyadmin and your created user should be added.

If by any chance you can login but it won’t proceed to the character creation after succesfull login go to C:\xampp\php\ and open php.ini
Search for display_errors=On and change it to display_errors=Off, save and restart your server. It should work now.

Good luck :slight_smile:

easter came and went, and work caught up with me so abscense from the forums was needed :frowning: captain obvious! THANKS! between work and other irl stuff it’s hard to gather even WHERE to find the information one needs. i thank you so much. i was planning to wait until UE 4.8 was released (since the kit maybe gets updated then)
but it i’m getting the itch… going to get cracking on getting the server up tomorrow :smiley:

Hey Lok…

How is it going?
Did you get the server up ?

I went through the draggable window tutorial, which seemed fairly easy to follow. Nice work.

Hello,

is someone try to use a simple crosshair in the center of the screen ?
i have some problems for doing that.
when i launch the game, i have make an input fonction for show or hide the mouse cursor but that only works at start.
But when i do a mouse clic the mouse cursor automatically show the cursor but i don’t when to see it. And the character camera no more follow the mouse movement.

Anyone had the same problem ?

Thx