MMO Starter Kit

Thanatosx,

HI bud… I don’t speak for Code, but… with all due respect. The kit’s cost is the cost of a couple models, and the cost of building a game is a lot more than the cost of the kit. Having been put on disability last year, it seems top ramen is spendy these days so I can relate to the kit being spendy if your income is limited. But, I had to look at what I got for what I was trying to do.

I have not read thru the entire thread recently, but, I seem to recall someone asking about parts of the kit and the SQL part was addressed. You might read thru the eight pages and see if MySQL part was something Code used a add-on for… his docs thank a few people for their gizmos. But, even if it is not something you can get with out getting the kit. IMHO, in the overall cost of building a game… or any project the kit’s cost is low. It might take you some time to build up the money if funds are tight. But, still a great deal. If you had to pay a dev to build the MySQL part, I bet you would spend more than 95 bucks US.

Good luck in your project.

I recommend the free VaREST plugin + php, that’s what I’m using it in the kit and it works very well.

Thanks Clifford,

I’m really glad to see people enjoying the kit so much. Best of luck with your project! :slight_smile:

• “It could be done, for example for the project I’m currently working on I’ve made the MMO Kit more into a FPS. It will take some time though to remove the unneeded parts like camera controls and animation, and adjusting systems such as targeting. The difficulty would depend on how familiar you are with UE4 and Paper2D.”

• Anyway to get access to the modified FPS blueprints as part of this MMO Package?

Additionally, Can you support destructible meshes in the currently build?

Hey ,

Playing around with your kit, and as always, absolutely love it. During the earlier demo video, the enemies had their names floating above their heads. We are trying to found out where this is done to play with it, but we haven’t been able to find out. Was it taken out or our we just being blind?

Thanks so much!

How are you going to run a MMO update, once you begun editing the original? Do you have to re-add, modify the entire changes each time?

just wondering here, if i buy this kit… where does it start me off? just drop a projectfolder into documents, fire up external server stuff and modify whats there? and it looks like in the video?

Hey Code… can I post my “getting started” here ?

Lokmarillion, if you go to https://docs.google.com/document/d/19zB2RCk_OG9aZ0T_NGS9668XcCtn6WQTTbam9K5jpw4/pub#h.9r8mmboxc70a and click “Getting Started”, you can read thru how to get the kit up and running… Assuming you have access to a server that has php 5.5+ or higher…

I looked at https://x10hosting.com/ and I just don’t understand enough of what I am doing to get it set up correctly.

If Code says it is ok… I’ll post how I set up my in home PHP 5.6 enabled server. I don’t want to hijack his thread though.

i’m sorry, i must have formulated my self wrongly. If i follow the initial setup, will it look like in the video?..

If you download the demo client and log in… it looks 100% like that.

I just sent my files to my programmer buddy to start modding how you log in. I really, REALLY enjoy what this kit does… I don’t have any programmer exp… and I got the server up and running in my home server. With probably 20 IM’s with in Skype. It may be my lack of knowledge, I think there are a couple “leaps of logic” you have to make in the docs but… got me thru those and a few other things and I was up and running. IMHO: the money for the kit, and the help I have received from the maker to get the kit up and going were worth MUCH more money.

Example: I had signed up for the Epic 20 buck a month thing… when they went free… I seem to have lost my assoc. to the Epic games source. I spent a couple days bumbling around trying to build the kit for a server… I got ahold of … keep in mind. I am GMT -7 and he is nine hours ahold of me… so when it is 4:30 pm here, it is 1:30 am his time. He got me back on track and explained I needed to resubscribe to epic games in git hub. And then build the engine.
here is the convo:
Ah
[4/5/2015 12:01:20 PM] ME: then I have not done that
[4/5/2015 12:01:33 PM] ME: I wonder what I did when I clicked build the first time
[4/5/2015 12:01:46 PM] ME: OK…
[4/5/2015 12:01:50 PM] : https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine “Getting up and running” - follow these instructions
[4/5/2015 12:02:04 PM] ME: I have a UE folder on my desktop that the Downlaod.zip opened up into
[4/5/2015 12:02:11 PM] : only after that proceed to opening the kit for the first time
[4/5/2015 12:02:12 PM] ME: and it downloaded a ton of ****
[4/5/2015 12:02:22 PM] Clifford Brock: Yup… I’ll do that

Please notice… he restated what was in the docs… Nicely I might add… I just didn’t have enough of a clue to get going.

This is simply one of the interactions I have had with . All of them have been FAST, nice and 100% on the money.

Hope this helps Lok… And I hope you decide to get the kit, and enjoy it as much as I have.

wow. do i really suck that much at trying to explain myself here?..

if i buy this pack, from the webpage https://sellfy.com/p/fo6a/ and follow the initial setup in the documentation MMO Starter Kit Documentation 1.1
WILL IT THEN APPEAR IN MY UNREAL ENGINE WINDOW AS IT APPEARS IN THE YOUTUBE VIDEO IN THE FIRST POST? :smiley:

more specific, will the landscape with all the content be there from the get-go? the character model? is it plug and play???

i’ll just assume yes on this. expect some more money soon :slight_smile:

A question to then. PvP, will this be implemented anytime? (player versus player)

No man… not you. must be me…

it looks like this in epic launcher.

inengine.png

and says “Cleanthirdperson” as the name…

I don’t know about the model… I don’t think so though… as the docs say that model is a art asset from Bunt Games.
and the docs say:

“Sword Girl model (used only on the demo server, not distributed) - Bunt Games.”
under credits.

The landscape is there as I have seen it in the editor… Even though I have the server up and running… locally… I can see Created toons in the database… I have not logged into the game… Darn Windows 10 preview expires… and reboots… wish they would release it. Or update to a new version of the preview.

Would be possible to add controller support to this kit? Not necessarily you adding it, but could someone integrate it into your systems? Something similar to Tera, FFXI, FFXIV, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, controls?

Hi,

it’s still there - UserInterface/TargetText :slight_smile:

Anything that you can use in UE4 you can use with the kit as well - the kit just helps you with parts of the game that are identical for most MMOs and provides examples on how you could handle gameplay RPCs, etc. I haven’t worked with destructible meshes myself, but I believe it’s just a matter of making a couple of RPCs to replicate destruction (which could be simulated on the client machines).

That was paid work so I can’t share those blueprints (they are also heavily customized for that particular game). If you know how to do basic FPS functionality for a single player game, it shouldn’t be hard to change the controls yourself.

By a “MMO update” do you mean updates to the kit? It would depend on how fast you are developing your game. I’m a part of a team working on a game based on the mmo kit, and the game is already much ahead of the kit with lots of game-specific customization. A serious team like that doesn’t really need to follow the updates of the kit. A hobbyist person could do the opposite - download each update of the kit and migrate their changes there.

It’s similar to how the official game demos - ShooterGame and others get bug fixes once in a while, but you don’t have to download those if your game based on that demo is already much ahead. Of course I’m planning to add more than bug fixes, but still, my updates will be much slower to what you could do with the kit on your own.

You could check the online documentation, it lists the steps required for the exact same setup as my demo game. :slight_smile: It will look like the video with the exception of having a blue guy in place of the sword girl (since I don’t own that model).

Yes it’s possible, if you know how to do it for a single player game, it should be rather easy.

PvP is something that you could implement youself by just modifying the checks in MMOPlayerController blueprint. Currently it checks that the target is an NPC and not dead, you could change that to any character that is not dead.

One more question.

Any thoughts on how to handle a weather engine i.e. TrueSky. I assume it would run on the server? Any thoughts for how to replicate weather behavior to clients?

Great job on this tool set. Will purchase later this week.

I would wait for to finish his implementation for dynamic weather.

Just bought the pack. after reading this whole thread i see no reason NOT too :stuck_out_tongue: hehe. I’ll tinker with it and skype you up if i hit a wall i cannot google past. (don’t worry, i’ll try hard before bothering you, you obviously have stuff to do :slight_smile: )

Congratz on the Kit Lokmarillion. and welcome to the club. :slight_smile:

Hey ,

When you update the MMOkit, will it be a whole new download, or will it be patched? I am wondering as I am starting to make changes and I began to think… if I make changes, will I have to redo them all in a new version of the kit

Yeah looks pretty cool. Is he active on this forum? Any timing estimation on the first alpha of the weather system package?