MMO Starter Kit

Added a new section to the documentation: Creating your own draggable windows :slight_smile:

Hi,

The UMG system used for the user interface in UE4 is quite powerful and should allow you to adjust opacity, fade times and appearance with ease. I recommend you first try it in a clean project and then once youā€™re sure you can modify the look of the MMO kit.

you appear to be my savior. Iā€™ve been brainstorming a simple online RPG for several years. I got pretty far along with another Engine but hated the way their editor-based UI worked and the programmatic UI had show-stopping bugs. I picked up Unreal and simply implementing Database integration has me pulling my hair out. VaRest wonā€™t compile, SQLiteSupport is buggy as heckā€¦not to mention the horrid lack of documentation and tutorials. I was about to give up when I ran across this. $95 for a functional base I can build on and modify is a steal.

I do have a couple questions first, and sorry if any have been asked before:

I intend to convert this to a Paper2D-based game, if possible, because I am terrible at modeling and slightly less terrible at spriting. How difficult would this be?
Can I use MySQL HTTP Plugin in place of a PHP web host?
Iā€™m not very familiar with REST. Is it substantially slower than normal queries directly to a database?
During your stress test did you determine any potential bottlenecks?

Hi Kevrlet,

It could be done, for example for the project Iā€™m currently working on Iā€™ve made the MMO Kit more into a FPS. It will take some time though to remove the unneeded parts like camera controls and animation, and adjusting systems such as targeting. The difficulty would depend on how familiar you are with UE4 and Paper2D.

Iā€™m not familiar with this plugin, if you want to use it instead of PHP, I recommend you to first find out if it can: 1) prevent sql injections, 2) hash user passwords with modern level of encryption and check against those hashes. Security is important :slight_smile:

VaRest plugin just sends the input data to the php, then itā€™s just php with prepared sql statements. If by normal queries you mean direct sql queries from the c++ game client, it wouldnā€™t be secure. Direct queries from the game server could be done, but it would put extra stress on the server, so itā€™s best to let php handle it. I wouldnā€™t worry about the speed of sql queries.

Multithreading was not ideal so one CPU core will bottleneck eventually. It could be optimized further I guess, but for the game Iā€™m currently working on (and for the purposes of the ā€˜starter kitā€™) ~500 npcs and ~100-150 players in one location should be enough for now.

Any news on when the next update could come ? Im deciding if I should wait for the next update before I buy lol or do it now. Im interested in knowing what is coming :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi, Iā€™ve decided to try to release updates simultaneously with the new Unreal releases (since I need to make a port for each new version anyways). So the next update will be out when 4.8 comes out, in 1-2 months most probably.

Just do it now :slight_smile:
Itā€™s already a great package and by the time the next update is released youā€™re already familiar with it and you can start to implement and use the upgrade immediatly :slight_smile:
Itā€™s worth every single cent you spend on it, a chat server/client, a launcher / updater, mysq setup and you can customize everything the way you need to because itā€™s all open, no secrets and source codes included.

For me itā€™s the best $95,- i spent on game assets and this is much more than a simple single asset. This really gives you a massive headstart if you plan to make a multiplayer game. A lot of the backbone work is done here.

Pretty much what I expected to hear. Having thought it over, some of the things I wanted to do are easier with 3d than 2d anywayā€¦so Iā€™ll probably not bother with this. Heh.

Security is definitely important. I actually work in the industry, which coincidentally is why I want to avoid web hostsā€¦too many bad experiences with them. However looking into the MySQL plugin more, Iā€™d have to write my own security and sanitization code. Annoying.

No I would never have a client directly querying a database. I really only asked this because Iā€™m currently dealing with a SQL bottleneck at work, and was worried that implementing a middleman could make this bottleneck noticeable at much lower volumes.

Good to know. I donā€™t anticipate having any more than that on a given map either, so this couldnā€™t be a concern. Thanks for answering my half-asleep questions! (Seriously need to stop doing things when Iā€™m half unconscious).

Kevrlet,

I bought the kit 24 hours agoā€¦ I since have blown up my home based server twice. My own fault. Since I am not a fan of web hosts eitherā€¦ I am fighting thru how to set up a local server in house. (Waiting on the image to be installed on the server as I type this.)

And I have to agree with others. Buying the kit now letā€™s you get hands on it and iron out any kinks you may come acrossā€¦ setting your stuff up. prob. has a LOT less hair as I have asked a fairly large number of questions in Skpye chat and gotten answers back as fast as I ask them.

Very cool Kitā€¦ VERY cool support.

Out of all the different engines I have boughtā€¦ and assetsā€¦ this one KIT is by far my fav thing so far.

forgive the thread necromancy; im thinking of buying this, but the windows server part is what hanging me up - has anyone gotten the dedicated server components working on linux?

thanks!

I have the same question. I want my server running on Linux, and want to make my game for OS X, linux, and win. Ios would be nice but not expected. Iā€™d like to do development on OS X too if possible. Any news on this?

Hello
I have a couple of starter problems when running Listen Server and Client.
1 My server starts off with a dude standing there with bots around him, just nice. But my client starts under ground with no character and in flying mode and no bots. How do i fix this?
2 When I login with my account details in the game and create a character it shows up in the database admin just fine, but if I log into my account again it says I havenā€™t created any characters and forces me to make a new one. Whatā€™s happening here?

[woops - I took out -local from both server and client shortcut params. With it in there, everything is fine].

Regards,

Hi,

I do plan to write a guide about setting up the dedicated server on Linux, however the majority of my customers are not familiar with Linux or even dedicated servers in general so itā€™s not a priority right now. The documentation has a very detailed guide on how to get the server up and running on Windows Server.

Hi ,

Was just about to reply, glad it worked out for you :slight_smile:

HI ā€¦ As you know, I have been working on getting PHP 5.6.0up and running under Windows 10 server and how to set up NoIP to get around the port 80 blocked on a home connectionā€¦ I wrote a small tut on how to do thisā€¦ I have been working on getting the MMOkit up and running under a server here in my house. NoIP still giving me headaches.
I hope to have a tut submitted to you in the next week or two. IMHO: there are some leaps in logic in the docs. With your help in Skype, I have it all up and running on the local network, butā€¦ Internet access is hosed up by NoIP and the ports and redirects. Anyone have a free option like NoIP? I used to use DynDNSā€¦ and it rockedā€¦ butā€¦ they seem to have removed their free setup with 2 host files.

Would we follow basically the same steps for the linux box? I think most folks who are setting up a lin server probably know how to install MySQL, apache/nginx, and whatever build tools are required - i am more concerned about ā€œcan i do thisā€ than ā€œhow do i do thisā€ :slight_smile:

Hi,

It should be possible, though I havenā€™t tried it myself yet. You could check out this guide: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums . The kit also has a separate C# chat server with source code included, it would also need to be built for Linux.

Iā€™m not familiar with NoIP unfortunately, so canā€™t help you out with that. Myself, I prefer to use my local machine for personal testing only and to order hourly or monthly hosting for projects that need to be accessed by other people over the internet.

When will 4.8 be released :stuck_out_tongue: /taps his foot impatiently.

Hey ,

I wanted to thank you here, for all the help and for the kit itself. I am having a SUPER FANTASIC time with setting up the server, and then getting in the kit and poking around. I started trying to build a game about 8 years ago. I Found GarageGames TGE and MyDreammmo.com Mydream had a MMO kit they were making and I was hooked. That was Sept. 2006 GG came out with TGEA and the kit was converted so, March of 2008 I got TGEA. GG moved to T3D and I could not afford the money to buy it so I looked at Realmcrafter, and bought it. RC was said to have great things comingā€¦ soonā€¦ and I got tired of waitingā€¦ and, in December of 2010 I bought T3D. As some of you knowā€¦ T3D went free about 10 months after that. and I chalked up the money spent to learning costsā€¦ All told, I prob spent (No one tell my wife this.) about four grand in engines and models and lighting kitsā€¦ blah blah.

I found UR 4 and I was thrilled to have access to the engine that my favorite MMO was built on. I signed up for a few months at 20 bucks a pop. I was put on disability last year, and now am stuck at home. When I had the money to pop for the kit, it took me about 5 minutes to decide to spend it. And I have been tickled beyond words man. My wife asked me, what had me so ā€œupā€ she said I normally just moped around. Not a lot to do once you have done the dishes. and watched TV for a hour or two.

Now, when she gets homeā€¦ I want to tackle her and show her what I have been doing all day. your kit has really given me something to be excited aboutā€¦ I get to use my brain and problem solve, stretch to learn such. And get me away from the idiot box. (I swear I hate TV, mind rotting POS IMHO)

I know I have had a lot of questionsā€¦ and I appre you always being there and willing to help me. I will get something up and running, the kids may or may not play itā€¦ but, I will have you to thank for getting me on the road, and you and Unreal for giving me something to do.

Thank you again,

Respectfully,
Clifford. M. Brock

1 Like

+1 LoL, familiar story :slight_smile: I also tried all of the engines and assets you mentioned and the last couple of months i even tried atavism online for unity but i really, really donā€™t like unity. The Unreal engine has always been one of my favourites and this kit is awesome.

Hello, please consider also selling a blueprint mysql plugin. Many of us need it but paying the full price of MMO starter kit is too much