MMO Starter Kit

I just found my problem along with a new one! :frowning: What I failed to configure was the php! I had the url set just not the script! Then along came ICANN! That problem is being temporarily fixed using another domain which is the studio domain as backup. Now I need to fix the project! then we can see what happens… Let the fun times roll!

@IFamStudios yeah following the bible one line at a time is really the key to getting it up and running. its a slow process first time out but the devil is in the details.:stuck_out_tongue:

Running the start, I think I just created 2 accounts with 2 different usernames and emails which said successful. I realize the start won’t go to the Desert Map automatically, testing locally unpackaged in progress. Basically I had to alter things starting with a clean project which I unzipped from my zipped 4.24 and I am running source engine. So, 1/4 of the battle is won! I am not at the 1/2 yet until I see where I broke things!

@IFamStudios there are at least 2 php scripts that you have to modify. mmo get server - insert your servers ip. and mmoconnection - add your db login creds.

Got rid of those errors! I unpacked a clean zipped version which is currently building! I am also currently importing some assets so I don’t know how that’s going to work out when it comes time to cook! So far so good… I feel I have reached the 1/2 way mark up from the 1/4 I feel I was at that was posted to my profile instead of here!

The server address goes in the Instance BP right? in the server address slot? above the scripts url? Because I got that! :slight_smile: so everything should be set as that should be. My test server may be the problem… something too that I keep seeing is the UE4 Fileserver, what is that and should I target that? my current server doesn’t have a gpu only an 8 core cpu with standard video.

@IFamStudios the only entry you should make in the bp mmoinstance is the host info. the server address is built by the php scripts from the back end.

Okay! I will definitely fix this tomorrow! Now I see why only the host info and other info is blank intentionally. I remember seeing a warning about the server address missing too, now I understand why the guide only shows the host info (the script address).

Whew! Getting through this slowly and all the help has been appreciated! thank you!

BP_MMOInstance is now fixed. I will definitely see what happens tomorrow when play with the frontend! Finally getting things set up properly! :slight_smile:

during the setup of the base 4.24 mmokit i was having issue with the server giving me consistent errors connecting to the chat server. fig.1 Fortunately the community is very helpful. On the discord channel a user named Stwix gave me the tip to change the output of CanExecuteCosmeticEvents node in the BP_MMOinstance to True. fig. 2 originally it was False. Now it works as expected.

Thank you! I forgot to check something and just wasted what amounted to 2+ hours to build since I forgot to check the package and store local option! :frowning: just fixed this and the above before repackaging since I didn’t get the exe files.

This process is going quicker than I expected! already moved to cooking! wow!

Hmmm… Problem: I have created an account and character after successfully packaging, what I didn’t do is -local on server or client, does that matter? It won’t let me enter the world or maybe I am not having patience?

@mastermmikie Just noticed a problem in playing the packaged game. the Character Name wasn’t set correctly. Not sure yet what went wrong there!

@IFamStudios the -local option is for testing on one system without a server setup. you would run the server.exe on your local computer and then start the client with a shortcut adding -local to the end of the startup command. this allows you to test before you push it up to the external server.

If your running a dedicated server on an external ip and are behind a firewall you may simply have the port forward incorrect. the bible states 7779 is the default for unreal. however we found ours was actually on 7790. i am not sure how we arrived at that but some further reading and searching yielded up the 7790 which in fact worked. so you may need to do some noodling about to get it sorted.

I got the client/server working together remotely with a quirk. My Character name is Character Name Not the actual character name that has been created… In the course of looking at the log window on server I am seeing this: )

My health is working perfectly, the character name is not working correctly though.

Also Inventory is not working correctly either.

thanks! To recap: I have the client/server working remotely now with a couple of quirks! the first quirk is the Character Name that is in the database isn’t being displayed when playing. also accepting inventory items doesn’t work either, empty inventory slots show. I can take screenshots if that would be helpful.

Guess what is working with the mannequins? My Starter Kit 4.24 running as Test Server the DB appears to be working the networking messages seem quirky still but everything appeared to connect. the problem now is I am immediately being Mobbed which I wasn’t initially upon falling and landing! I am still atempting to digest the character altering process, which I have performed under different (variety) of methods.