Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Works perfectly fine thank you so much !

Glad it worked! Thanks :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

God Dammit. Why does this have to be so worth itā€¦ As soon as epic approves this Iā€™m sold.

Why wait? It works as advertised. Iā€™m happy with my purchase.

I just want a single place to hold everything. I tend to loose track of where I keep things if they are not all in one place. The epic vault does that for me.

fair enough - I thought that one place would in Documents>Unreal Projects lol

Quick update: Epic reviewed our code and asked for a minor modification that we already sent. We hope to be able to share some news in the next days :slight_smile:

For those who bought the plugin on Gumroad: we published version ā€œ1.0.1ā€ containing a minor fix for a possible crash. We suggest to update.

Itā€™s rare Iā€™ll open my wallet as Iā€™m a small developer with limited funding. Once this hits the market, a rare moment shall occur. Props to you and your team for this.

I have a question, how does this apply to models downloaded of the Maximo site now they have dropped support for the engine, you can still download the normal FBX format but its isnā€™t the right skeleton.

The plugin born exactly for this reason :slight_smile: It works on the current normal FBX format downloaded from the Mixamo website. After you import the downloaded FBX in UE4, it applies several ā€œfixesā€ to let you re-use existing Unreal Engine 4 animations with the downloaded Mixamo character.

Quick question - I uploaded my own character to Mixamo and then exported it, brought it into UE4. Iā€™m trying to use with the Side Scroller Shooter Kit but with zero luck. It ā€œappearsā€ to work; however, the character remains in T-pose and does not animate. Does this plugin only work with actual Mixamo characters? Any thoughts welcomed, I can provide additional info if needed.

just bought and tested.
works perfectly for me to make unreal marketplace anims work with fuse characters.
it could take about month to convert all our anims manually for our 2-man team. so your plugin definitely worth paying for it

but I have the next question.
when the plugin will be released for marketplace, how will you support updates for us, who bought it on gumroad?

Ah great thanks for the info.

Thanks!

Gumroad will be supported at the same level as the Epic Marketplace. All releases and updates will land both on the Marketplace and on Gumroad, equally. Looking at the time required by Epic to validate the current submission, is possible that updates will land quickly on Gumroad.

The plugin applies several ā€œfixesā€ to the Mixamo assets to integrate them better in Unreal Engine 4 (e.g. to make Marketplace animations work with Mixamo characters, etc.). Applying such animations to a player character/pawn is out of the scope of the plugin. To see an animated skeletal mesh, you must assign a fixed animation to your player pawn or (better) assign it a custom Blueprint Animation that activates and blends the right animation assets depending on the state/action of your pawn. You can find useful info here:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!:smiley: Seriously, I will grab this the day it arrives on the marketplace!

grabbed this from gumroad.

tried it yesterday.
holyā€¦ it worked as described without any issue. I didnā€™t have to modify any source or anythingā€¦
can add meshes and/or anims from mixamo with ease.
I justā€¦ I dont even know what to sayā€¦good jobā€¦ cool.

hmm, guys, i have one thing for you to investigate.

take a mixamo skeleton with some mixamo animations.
patch with your plugin.
result - animations are blending correctly between themselves.

retarget some anims from unreal skeleton
result - retargeted animations are blending flawlessly between themselves.

so we have now 2 sets of anims (retargeted and mixamo with root added)
and next, when we try to blend mixamo anim with retargeted anim, we have next result:
mesh is moving down as blend strength is moving to 0.5.

its position is right at 0 and 1
root position stays at its place.
no retargeting option and translation retarget type for any bone have influece to this process
behavior is the same for blendspace assets and animBP transitions

so now iā€™m limited to use only mixamo anims, or only retargeted unreal anims.
itā€™s not a great problem, but itā€™s a thing you may be interested in

Hereā€™s some screens:
[spoiler]
278b17ac0eec3a2ddc91595601e0f696a4c1191e.jpeg
c055b8a97670a3e25539ef9aac50f4bc479a065f.jpeg
8f74f5650306138e66c3c150e3b4479fe435218a.jpeg
[/spoiler]

and video
[video]https://youtu.be/vM_u6o9WCvM[/video]

Oh no! Not that stupid dipping problem on blend! That was a nightmare back when I first picked up UE4 trying to use non-mp anims with mp anims.
Something to do with the root rotation I think. If you turn on visualizing the root bone I think you can see it during the blend. At least you used to be able to.

I second this. Hopefully this can be fixed, otherwise you can ONLY use mixamo anims exclusively with mixamo imported meshes/anims as blends will all be wonky like this.

definitely so.
root bone is selected at screens and video - itā€™s not changing during blend if hips translation is set to animation
issue can clearly be seen when Hips retarget translation is set to skeleton.
i think something surely can be done with it, maybe as some bool option when patching mixamo skeleton

in general, looks completely similar to old topic

there was no complete workaround until Epic guys fixed Thirdperson template anims, which were used for retargeting.
it seems that not skeleton should be modified, but animations themselves. so badā€¦

maybe we can try to summon someone from staff here?
they can give some advice for us or plugin devs at least

UPDATE

found a workaround, but itā€™s quite slow in case of dozens of animations
this should be applied to anims retargeted from unreal skeleton to make it blend with mixamo

1. export animation to Blender
  2. Create a Root bone at center looking back

1029fcea7cc049622bc9396a03499e2134f167af.png

1. make it parent to hips
  2. export fbx with default settings
  3. import to UE Editor
  4. rotate Hips by X to 180 degrees

result - perfect blending with no buggy char dipping

but this way costs too much time.
****, what about adding script doing same thing to plugin at some future version?

if anyone needs it now and didnā€™t understand how to - ask me, iā€™ll make a video