Download

Mirror with Lumen is horrible

May be I’m making something wrong, but it is impossible for me to make a mirror with Lumen’s reflections.
I saw videos where they make this mirror in Unreal 5 and it seems pretty clear, but I don’t understand how he did it. I don’t want to use ray traced reflections. You can watch here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mDItWAJETU

And this is my mirror:

1 Like

ouh nouhhh

The answer is in the description of that video:

Lumen Reflections works similar to Screen Space Reflections but with the quality of planar reflections. It is really high quality accurate reflections but only when the reflected parts are visible in the screen. Otherwise I think it falls back to a low quality reflection, which seems like is generated using Mesh Distance Fields.

Which is correct. Read the screen tracing section in the docs.

So you need to use planar reflections.

Same thing, testing reflective surfaces with Lumen looks absolutely low res. Made a video with basic stuff. Boosting Lumen reflections quality to magic number 4 does help but then the GI stops getting reflected in the reflections. Tried increasing final gather lumen quality as well as lumen resolution in project settings from 2048 to 4096 which also helps but very tiny bit, the final reflection is still very much unusable.

So while setting lumen reflection quality to “4” in postprocessing volume helps, right now you need hardware RT for this to look good. Maybe by release the highest lumen software setting will work better, but not right now.

This. Right now setting it to ‘4’ (past the ‘2’ slider cap) will give max quality.

Their goal is to have Lumen reflections eventually offer same quality as RT reflections. Reason why they are deprecating it.