Metahuman: combining facial and body animation in sequencer without losing head rotation data

Hi there, could we please have documentation on the topic of combining facial and body animation of Metahumans in sequencer without losing head rotation data. It seems like a very trivial task which should be easy to accomplish, yet I’ve been stuck on it for weeks, and none of the Metahuman videos cover that specific topic.

I have a facial animation from Live Link, WITH head rotation data, I have a walk cycle, I would simply like to combine it with the facial animation.

If the head mesh uses the default Face_BP in sequencer (using what I believe is called Animation Data keyable parameter?), there is no head movement. If you change it to Custom, it gets the head rotation, but the face mesh gets disconnected from the body. I’ve tried about 20 different things, with no good result. Would be great if Metahuman creators explained how they wanted us to use those in Sequencer. Also, I’m not even trying to retarget anything from one Metahuman onto the other, it’s all just the same one.

I haven’t found any
but
basically
you have the body rig and face rig
when you apply keyframes it will only kf what you have selected
so you only select the face rig when kf’ing the face and vs for body

I’m not using the control rigs for these at all, I have a retargeted walk from their standard mannequin, and the facial anim is recorded directly with Live Link.

I’ll do another test with baking them back onto their respective control rigs and trying to do what you have suggested.

UPD: Tried that and it’s still failing. I want to copy and paste let’s say keys from the HeadYaw curve onto the head ctrl, but it won’t let me.

Okay, wow, that was both easier and harder than expected. Found a solution, recorded a tutorial here. Tested on a set of a) one idle body animation, b) one facial animation recorded with Live Link.

No control rig was used, I understand that when using control rigs you don’t end up with this head rotation issue.

Note I’m using ue 5.0.3.

6 Likes

Can’t find this node, actually my BP is different… (from MH Sample Project 5.1)

1 Like

Check the left panel. You’ll find the animgraph there

1 Like

thanks! that was i was missing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this! :heart:

1 Like