Mesh decals not rendering correctly

My latest project uses mesh decals and the deferred decal shader to add logos and sponsors to a ship in predefined areas. My issue is that if i add the material to a mesh with the logos laid out its tries to draw over the geo on top as you move backwards away from the object, whereas if i use the decal actors the actor doesn’t try and draw past its bounds. Is there a way of getting a similar setup using mesh decals? Or is the setup wrong on my end?

This is the material on the mesh decal, which is shading over the wing on top of it which it shouldn’t be doing as it is occluded.

As you move backwards the mesh decal goes from being occluded by the wing over the top of it to drawing over everything, is there any kind of work around for this?

This is what i wanted it to look like at the same distance, this is using a deferred decal object using the same material shader and setup, the only difference is one is a mesh.

This is the mesh for this particular logo, literally just a plane.

Shader setup for the decal material, this is the same material used on both the mesh decal and deferred decal object, yet they render out different results?

A workaround i have found is too go into the deferred decal material and in the properties turn on flat tessellation in the settings. This seemingly fixes the issue and allows things to render correctly.

2 Likes

Hello,

We’ve made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

Thanks

Hey, i have the same problem and it suddenly happened in all projects, maybe since the latest hotfix of 4.26 i think. all decals render on top of any opaque materials until they are culled in any way (occlusion, visiblity…).

Nice trick, not very intuitive method :smiley:

been searching awhile for even a mention of this issue. Thanks for posting up a solution. Never woulda considered it. Kept searching out depth related topics since i figured it had to be pixel depth accuracy related