Lumen lighting on translucent surfaces

I’m having issues with direct moveable lights in lumen hitting translucent surfaces through walls. No matter how thick the walls, direct lights ignore the meshes and directly hits my translucent windows. Am I missing something where I can get my lights to register there is a meter thick wall in front of the window?

I’ve tried adjusting all the shadow and translucency settings on the material, meshes, lights, and project settings. The only thing that works is setting r.RayTracing.Translucency 1 in the command, but that screws other rendering up.

For my purpose, masks won’t work as the dirty material needs to fade out instead of disappearing completely. I also need some refraction on my windows when wet. I do not need reflections if I need to get rid of them. Is there a way I can completely disable these direct lights from hitting my translucent objects? I’m looking for anything to work with.

This is both UE 5.3.2 and UE 5.4.1

Ray traced shadows are a separate system from Lumen, as Lumen only handles indirect lighting.

Anyway, ray traced shadows don’t support casting shadows onto translucency.

One work around is to disable affect translucency on light. Not sure if this flag was fixed in 5.4, or only in UE5-Main and fix will be in 5.5.

Another workaround is to use VSM and enable translucency lit volume on your material.

Thank you, this was a great help. It’s difficult to understand the separate systems between Lumen, Ray-Tracing, Translucency, etc. For now, my best solution would be to disable affecting translucency on light on all the moveable direct lights.

Could you help me understand the VSM method? That doesn’t seem to have much of an affect on preventing the lights through the walls. Am I missing another setting?

VSM are Virtual Shadow Maps. They are shadow map based, so may have some stairstepping artifacts and don’t support well larger area lights. On the other hand they do have a bit wider feature set, as they are currently a primary shadowing method for games.

With Surface TranslucencyVolume and lights set to Shadow Map or VSM it should work correctly. Try setting ray traced shadows to disabled in your light settings.

The ray tracing was on. Thank you!

This topic was already solved, but I am also having a small additional issue with my directional light with VSM and the translucent surfaces. My sun directional light moves and updates every 1 second. Every 1 second, I am getting a flicker for a single frame of full brightness on my translucent surfaces. Any ideas to stop this one frame of flickering? Using Shadow Maps instead of VSM fixed this but at a too high of cost to performance.