Lumen light leaking when playing but not when working in editor

I am currently working on an old Horse Stable scene and noticed something preocular, and the solution might be something basic. But there is a difference between what the in-game environment looks like in comparison to what I see in editor.

Here is what I see in editor:

And here is the same angle while playing in editor, but now I have what appears to be light leaking in through the wall:

I would like to understand what causes this phenomena, and prevent it from happening in the future. I am not sure if it has to do with my model, or a setting. any assistance or explanation would be very welcome?

Am I correct in assuming that it gradually gets bad over a few seconds?

Then you might want to tinker with the auto-exposure settings.

At the moment, you can’t turn it off in UE5. The only way I’ve found to do it is by changing the exposure settings on the player camera.

It does appear to be instantaneous, I used F8 during playing in editor to toggle quickly between the gameplay and editor views, and the light leak appears and disappears immediately.

I will play around with removing auto exposure and see what affect it has. Thank you for the suggestion. Will give it a shot.

1 Like

I did remove exposure on the Camera, unfortunately the ‘leak’ seems to persist when playing.

Here is the gameplay screen with the leak still there:

And here is the same angle in editor without the leak happening:

1 Like

To be clear, a PP volume won’t cut it.

You have to tweak the PP on the actual player camera you’re using a runtime.

Yes, I was changing the exposure settings the character blueprint.

Here is the camera settings in the player blueprint:
Exposure Camera Settings

The leak does seem to persist regardless of the exposure level. Here is the mid level exposure that should match the editor view, but has the added leak:

Here is the camera set to a fixed high exposure with the light leak:

And here is the same scene with a low exposure fixed setting, with the leak still there.

I think I will place a Cine Camera Actor in the scene and see how that renders out an image. (Piloting it in the scene also had no leak, even though it had exactly the same setting for exposure as the player character camera.)

Ok.

There are all the other usual ‘leak prevention’ measures. Wall meshes need to be closed, with thickness etc.

What’s the geometry like?

I also thought that it might have been something to do with the geometry. But that didn’t explain why there was no light leak when I navigated the scene in editor, or why camera actors in the level did not show the leak either.

I added the third person game content to the project, just as a sanity check. Used it as the playable character, and there was no light leak:

This confirms your first suspicion that it had something to do with the player character camera. Will troubleshoot settings. and see what I can find.

1 Like

I think I found what was causing the light leaks.

Here is the setting in the player camera I troubleshooted:

Near Clipping

I had it set to the minimum value, the moment I set it back to the default value of 10, the ‘light-leak’ artifact disappeared. I even experimented with smaller values like 0.1, and it also did not have the ‘light-leak’. The leak only seems to appear when the Near Clipping Plane is set to the minimum of 0.00001.

Glad I could figure that out with your assistance. Thank you, it is much appreciated.

2 Likes

Ah, interesting…

1 Like

Where exactly can I find this setting? I’m going through all BP_FirstPersonCharacter and I can’t find this one. I work on 5.1.1. Something change?

I found the settings in the camera actor itself.