Low roughness causing white dots on meshes (appears to be associated with TSR). How can I fix this?

After a lot of troubleshooting it appears that TSR causes white dots to appear on some meshes with decal that lowers roughness.

AA off or the other AA methods do not cause this. The problem is I would really like to use TSR and keep the roughness settings I have.

Is there any way to do this? I read something about composite roughness materials but I am unfamiliar with this type of material and couldn’t find much info on creating one.

Can you show a screenshot so that it is easier to understand the issues you are facing?

1 Like

Yep! Here’s an example

The dots do not move with the camera but are attached to the mesh

I see, thank you for the image and a great explanation of the issue!

If you remove the material or use a material with a simple float4 plugged into the base color. Does the dots remain?

1 Like

When I hid the decal the dots do disappear.

It does not appear to happen on materials that have more simple normals.

It looks like it only appears on my foliage materials and happens whether nanite is on or off too.

The decal is a simple material with roughness set to .04 and specular set to .02

I found the only way to get rid of the dots is to set the roughness to at least .4 which gets rid of all the reflections I wanted

I did more experimentation and tried using specular to get a similar effect and turning off roughness.

The same thing happened with just specular.