Lost world partitions - locked out of my project

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Other

Summary

After some changes I made in the landscape editor (adding, deleting grids,rebuilding it because uefn suggested “it needs to be rebuilt”) every time I try to open my project I get an error.

I’ve been locked out of this project for 2 days now and I have found no solution. PLEASE HELP I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING. I’ve been working on this project for monthsss and it’s too good to lose. Someone suggested it might have to do with world partitions (have no idea what that is until now) and they said maybe don’t have that anymore so every time it tries to load the landscape it crashes?? if that is the problem how do I delete all the landscape/ocean in my map without actually opening it?

Steps I’ve taken:
-Validating Files from Epic Games
-Uninstalling UEFN
-Updating, restarting, and shutting down my computer
-Checked the last auto save (it’s the very first time i did check in changes so no use in reverting back)
-Opening other projects in UEFN (they all open normally except this one)
-Making an empty project and transferring files one by one (it opens normally but then crashes when I copy over the level)

Steps to Reproduce

open this project in UEFN

Expected Result

it loads my project

Observed Result

it crashes UEFN and results in the following error:
Fatal error: [File:D:\build++Fortnite\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\Serialization\AsyncLoading2.cpp] [Line: 9477] Flushing async loading while creating, serializing or postloading an object is not permitted

Platform(s)

UEFN

Island Code

not published yet

Additional Notes

I would give my left kidney for a solution please this project is valuable to me and I can’t lose it I have worked too hard and long on it :(. Again, IF the problem is actually with the landscape/ocean I would like to just delete it all (somehow without actually being IN the project, maybe from the windows folders)

hi @princessrepear
This problem may have a similar answer to
My Project Crashes when I open it (unrealengine.com)

If that does does not works do as described in the other post but copy the whole directory to a another new directory like C:\user\yourname\UEFN\Backup.
DONT use One Drive
C:\user\yourname\OneDrive\documents\unreal Projects to store your project as this looks like the OneDrive streaming may have got corrupted in Sync.

Now make a copy of you backup C:\user\yourname\UEFN\Backup.
Look inside the backup and look for any assets new in Windows Explorer using Reverse Date filter so that most recent changes are at the top

If you had Revision Control on check for the last change and go backward

see Unreal Revision Control Best Practices | Unreal Editor for Fortnite Documentation

No, unfortunately their error code is different and they had problems with verse. My project doesn’t have any verse codes.

Yes but you have to do the “Verify” FIRST!!
Verify UEFN

I did the validation but it didn’t fix the error. I have revision control on, yes, however the last time I clicked “check in changes” was too long ago. I don’t use Onedrive so I’m not sure what you meant with your instructions. Can you please clarify or explain again?

hi @princessrepear

No idea then One Drive , which you don’t use, can cause strange errors

Looks like some on with better knowledge to pick apart projects will be needed

I’ve contacted support and they said to ask in the forums. Not sure where to go from here. Who can I contact?

hi @princessrepear

TRY 31.00 first as this may be fixed see post below

This is another look at this and now have some text to look at but not much use afraid
You have corrupted an asset, which is similar to the problem below.

Looks like you turned on Landscape World streaming which is supported in
ue5.5 standard Engine.
UEFN Landscape mode in UEFN 5 version is covered in UEFN documentation

Taken from documentation link below

1 Create New Creates a new Landscape in your Level.

Landscape Mode | Unreal Editor for Fortnite Documentation

ue5 standard Engine see the posting

Landscape streaming proxies loads in too late when PIEing with world partition

The video is for ue5 standard engine NOT UEFN
Getting Started with UE5 World Partitioning for Landscapes (youtube.com)

In this picture “Enable Streaming” has been ticked and this is not supported in UEFN

worldPartitionUE5EnableStreaming

Your project now has an unsupported function.
This is the same problem as activating a broken plugin, which does not show until you restart you project which fails.

The problem with UEFN is its NOT controlled in the startup file ProjectName.uproject.

Rather obviously this is UEFN is ProjectName.uefnproject because it not the same format

There is little knowledge of UEFN control files and how to turn this off manually

The crash lines in UE5 source code comments talks about putting out an error message above which means that World Partition streaming has been enabled incorrectly.

My other idea is to install UEFN on another PC and download on another PC using Unreal Revision Control.

Check that the project runs on the newly installed PC
Transfer get a clean USB and transfer/copy the project to USB.
Check that the project runs on the newly installed PC again

Compare all the .ini files to see which have changed,
Maybe DefaultEngine.ini

[/Script/WorldPartitionEditor.WorldPartitionEditorSettings]
CommandletClass=Class'/Script/UnrealEd.WorldPartitionConvertCommandlet'

has something else in this area

UEFN C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Fortnite\Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini
contains

[/Script/Engine.WorldPartitionSettings]
EditorHashDefaultClass=/Script/CoreUObject.Class'/Script/Engine.WorldPartitionEditorSpatialHash'
RuntimeHashDefaultClass=/Script/CoreUObject.Class'/Script/Engine.WorldPartitionRuntimeHashSet'

So if there is anything else remove extra lines especially if its to do with streaming

Try copying the ProjectName.map in place of the original to see if this will work.

Good Luck
The thing to do is save frequently using Revision control

Is this still happening after today’s update?

1 Like

hi @princessrepear ,
In 31.00 UEFN there is now a message log will all Landscape sync errors

THANK YOU. I am unsure what you guys did in the new update but it fixed my problem. You can’t imagine how happy I am right now.

To be safe, I wanted to save my project in revision control and check in my changes but since it’s the first time I do, I have almost 4,000 changes to check in. Thus, every time I try to check in it loads to 100% but nothing happens. It still shows the option to “check-in” and I confirmed it didn’t save changes through the the snapshot history. (shown in the images). What do you recommend I do? I have already done a manual backup folder.

Screenshot 2024-08-17 001607