Landscape streaming proxies loads in too late when PIEing with world partition

It seems my LandscapeStreamingProxy load in after much later after my pawn walks on them.

You can see the landscape (untextured) floating above a static mesh (textured).
This only happens at runtime; in the editor view of the level things are fine.

If I press f8 – and fly around I can see that the landscape proxies don’t seem to load in coherently. There’s times where something should be loaded, but it isn’t.
loading range preview (using Preview Grids checkbox in world setting)

I found that increasing the “Loading Range” in WorldSettings , under the WorldPartition category.

With preview grids turned on, I could see the range it would load in a sphere underneath the camera.

This seems to be what will be loaded at runtime for player controlling the pawn.

I was able to find a nice middle ground using f8 (to detail the play-in-viewport so I could fly a camera around).

I haven’t tried with HLODs yet. But I think this was the issue; that that loading range was too small.

Though it seems like it would have loaded the landscape streaming proxy I was standing on regardless of the range. It meets my needs.

2 Likes

Thank you! In my case, I just adjusted the Cell Size in the World Settings (under the World Partition heading). Instead of 12800, I tried power of 2 values, and both 8192 and 16384 worked fine, so it’s strange that a smaller and larger number both worked. This also can solve the issue with landscape collision breaking after adding or removing components (however, this fix has not been tested in an actual build, just in-Editor).

Hello @adam, thanks for sharing!
I just tried the following config and sadly it does not work properly in a Shipping build.
Sometimes some chunks of the landscape are loading without collision, it’s kind of random!
Have you found more information about this? I also saw this thread: Landscape Components Intermittently Loading with No Collision in Packaged Build - #17 by Raztalx in which you also commented about this.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, sorry I never tried this in a packaged build. At the moment, I’m not using world partition. In the bit of testing I had done (importing a huge landscape based on real-world heightmap data), it seemed that (on my older hardware at least) I was able to get better FPS by importing the heightmap as one big landscape rather than breaking it up using World Partition. Maybe fewer draw calls this way. However, I haven’t done any thorough testing with World Partition to know if there would be any real performance benefit from using it.

1 Like

The whole system is a horrible dud really.

Why not just use the older world composition with tiles? At least that eay you can turn landscapes into meshes, and leave them as meshes…

/ I’m not sure why you’d want to ship anything with ue5 to be totally honest.
The engine just doesn’t work. All of its features are still very much Beta if not just Alpha.

Stick to what works for production - ue4.18, ue4.25. And thats it because .27 also has major issues.

If you can put up with building from source, then dump the whole official trash and use the engine versions Nvidia puts out.
Since you know, unlike the ones who make the engine envidia actually takes the time to get someone else engine to work properly… darn epic…

1 Like

Thanks for the info about stable builds in UE4. The only major bug I ran into in 4.27.2 was trying to move simple collision in the static mesh editor was near impossible as it was constantly accessing the DDC on every widget movement and dropping the framerate to like 5 fps (I don’t know if builds prior to 4.27.2 had this problem?). The reason I’m using 5.3.2 at the moment is it doesn’t have that issue anymore and I like some of the smaller improvements like being able to increase/decrease your camera speed infinitely when flying around the Viewport with the mouse wheel, whereas in UE4 you could only go so far before having to adjust the camera speed scalar (a minor change, I know, but it makes a big difference in large scenes).

Dont know about the other thing, but if I remeber correctly, hold ctrl while scrolling.

1 Like

the suggestion to increase loading range to the massive number is not a fix. that is basically just making it so you might as well not bother with the system at all since youre essentially loading every single cell within a radius of 100k units…thats insane.

I was having this same issue and changing the Cell Size and Loading Range indeed solved it in PIE.