Lighting bug in MetaHuman Creator 5.4

Summary

In the MetaHuman Creator browser app, specifically version 5.4, there seems to be a rendering issue when I load up my MetaHumans. When I select one of the render qualities that uses ray tracing (either ‘High’ or ‘Epic’), the lighting quality changes drastically and the shadows just look… completely wrong. Everything was fine when I last used the MetaHuman Creator not even a month ago, so I’m not really sure what’s happened between then and now. I’ve tried using different browser engines on the off chance that there was some kind of incompatibility on my end, but that didn’t fix it. I haven’t changed any of the settings within the creator (so I’m still working on LOD 0, for example), either.

This also only happens in version 5.4. I decided to test the issue in 5.3 with a few of my legacy MetaHumans and the ray tracing render options worked as expected.

What it should look like (MetaHuman Creator 5.3, RQ ‘High (Ray Traced)’)

What it currently looks like (MetaHuman Creator 5.4, RQ ‘High (Ray Traced)’)

Please select what you are reporting on:

Creative

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Assets

Steps to Reproduce

Open the MetaHuman Creator browser app in version 5.4. Load a MetaHuman model and change the ‘render quality’ to either ‘High (Ray Traced)’ or ‘Epic (Ray Traced)’.

Expected Result

The lighting on the MetaHuman model should behave as it normally does.

Observed Result

The lighting fails to render properly, casting improper shadows.

Platform(s)

Windows PC
MetaHuman Creator 5.4

Same here, I believe it started on September 5, I made a character on the 4th and face shadows ray traced were correct, on the fifth they were f’d. I have reverted to 5.3 creator for the time being because this issue completely derails designing skin tone and roughness so it would be nice if it could get fixed so I can resume using the new grooms which were so beautifully designed for 5.4 (Aside, I believe that any metahuman created in 5.4 would work fine in a level, I have rendered a good number of things in both 5.3 and 5.4 and you can easily just upgrade a metahuman created in 5.3 to 5.4 when you import them via quixel for a workaround)

Hey Both,

We are aware of this one and working on a fix for it.