Light Propagation Volumes (GI) causes game to crash in VR-mode

I know it is only an experimental feature, but it seems VR-mode and Light Propagation Volumes are not going well together. As soon as I enter VR-mode, the game crashes.

Other than that, Light Propagation Volumes is realy impressive, I love it. :wink:

Rendering thread exception:
Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.1\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Array.h] [Line: 518]
Array index out of bounds: 1 from an array of size 0
Stack:
Address = 0xec9b3f36 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Core.dll]
Address = 0xec852bb5 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Core.dll]
Address = 0xe662d90c (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Renderer.dll]
Address = 0xe662cede (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Renderer.dll]
Address = 0xe65cdfbf (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Renderer.dll]
Address = 0xe64f4d19 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Renderer.dll]
Address = 0xe65e2c5d (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Renderer.dll]
Address = 0xe65b504d (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Renderer.dll]
Address = 0xec740732 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Core.dll]
Address = 0xec7408ed (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Core.dll]
Address = 0xef675bd3 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-RenderCore.dll]
Address = 0xef676039 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-RenderCore.dll]
Address = 0xec9b1ae9 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Core.dll]
Address = 0xec9aafa1 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Core.dll]
Address = 0x7765652d (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll]
Address = 0x7778c541 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32
tdll.dll]
Address = 0x7778c541 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32
tdll.dll]

Yeah, a few things donā€™t like stereo/VR at the moment :frowning:

If you havenā€™t already, itā€™d be a good idea to submit to the bug section on the UE4 answerhub.

Hey Jomou,

Thanks for letting us know about this. We actually had someone else report it a couple of weeks ago and we were able to reproduce it. There a report in for it assigned to a dev, so once they have a to fix it, they will. LPVs are, as you said, experimental and not well tested. I encourage you to let us know about anything else you encounter, good or bad, as we would like to see feedback on both Oculus integration and LPVs.

Any word on this?

I recently found out that it seems Lightmass is having problems with enclosed spaces. Iā€™m making a game that takes place entirely inside, so the light leaking on static meshes with Lightmass is not going to work for my purposes.

LPV is the natural answer to needing dynamic lighting, but if it doesnā€™t work with the Riftā€¦

Any we might get more information on where the problem exists, so that community members could perhaps also try and fix it?

Our Oculus developer and rendering developer are looking into still. As we move forward with support for in the editor, we will begin properly implementing it for oculus usage as well.

Cool!

Are there any issues/work the community could do on from the repo? Iā€™d love to contribute, since itā€™s directly applicable to my game.

I really hope gets fixed soon. The GI really looks promising for what i do, but i like to be able to check performance for stereo rendering.

Has issue been solved in the Unreal Engine 4.3 ?

Doesnā€™t seem like it. :frowning: Light Propagation Volumes crash everything and its fix is only coming in the next update (4.4) Hopefully there will be a hotfix soon

Hey guys, I checked our bug report on and I am pleased to say that a programmer has marked it fixed for an upcoming version of the editor. It just barely missed the cutoff for 4.3, so we are hoping to push it out very soon.

Thanks for the update, much appreciated!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

It is working now, and it is gorgeous, but its rendering only on one eye (left eye) for me.

Same here. Only rendering in the left eye with 4.4.3 - can we get an update on please. Really keen to use it for VR.

The issue with it only rendering in one eye is part of the general bug of certain effects only rendering in the ā€œprimaryā€ camera. is being addressed and once it is fixed, UMG, HUDs and LPV will render in both eyes.

Will those fixes be going into 4.5?

They didnā€™t make it into that update. It is something that is getting a lot of focus for a future release, but it is a big project for the rendering team to build, test and implement. Iā€™ll see about getting more specific information about a timeline, as is an issue that comes up frequently.

Awesome, thanks .

I donā€™t mind using the latest Github code, either, if it is going to make it into there significantly earlier than a released build.

Iā€™m looking for feature to stabilize too. Thanks for the info! While would require some serious Graphics Horsepower in the rift, I imagineā€¦ it would eliminate the need for lightmap UVā€™sā€¦ so lots of man-hours gone!

Sorry to resurrect thread, but still seems to be the case in UE 4.8. Is there a setting Iā€™m missing or are some effects still left eye/primary camera only?