Ledge Climbing System guide

Hi.

Apologies i wasnt subscribed to the thread and never got notifications. Will keep a better eye on this now that i am subscribed.
I would say thankstipcom is correct.

Will respond soon to the other questions. Sorry again for not keeping a better eye on this one.
Cheers

Yo everyone
Last year July i ran out of funds and went back to a day job. been inactive this entire time for the most part focusing on the day job and just being drained in the schedule change. But im working hard again after hours now and have new passion.
Sorry for the late responses. Things will go a bit better now.

Good luck with your projects. Below are some responses. If i did not correctly address your issue please post back and we can have another look.
Thx

If that happens the registered hits are being written incorrectly to the variable. You will have to play around and see when the trace happens and perhaps add a branch somewhere to prevent the trace from firing.

Glad you got it sorted

Hmm, hard to say… its possible that its firing the trace and the trace is being blocked by something. Will try to reproduce this

Sounds like the let go of ledge section is firing prematurely. double check your branches also on the controls section and make sure other keys are not interfering.

Hi.

In a platformer game i would eliminate the one axis from the move to location. You dont want to set that because if your character is busy rotating and the trace fires it will hit somewhere not in line with your plane constraint causing this issue.

Check the macros or branches that checks the distance from your hip to the ledge. Might be it never registers that it is in range. Would make sense considering the size difference. It checks the distance from hip to ledge.

I think we resolved this via email? Can remember the video. Let me know if not.

Hey man,

Thanks for popping back in. Seriously.
I actually tried to get your system working in my game and didn’t fully succeed. I was going to ask for help but I noticed you weren’t around so I didn’t want to add to the thread until some people started getting things working.

I didn’t follow your tutorials, intead I grabbed your project and your anims and tried to replicate it in my already worked on game.

It works somewhat. Like the traces hit the block, but it doesnt look nice. The wall run and the hang anims are the only ones that work for me. the climb up one goes all bonkers on me. Like the rotation is messed up. Character does a head dive into the ledge hes trinyg to climb. it plays out but it looks insane. I compared it to your working project and the anim settings are the same. I tried for a few hours to figure it out and edit the anim and so on but no luck. So I decided to put it on the back burner with sadness. I was hoping to expand on it and add some more parkour style stuff and some more movements.

If you’re back and willing to help out. I’ll post a video of the behviour I’m seeing later, maybe you can spot something I’m missing!

sure thing. the head dive sounds like a root motion mismatch on axis but im still half asleep :stuck_out_tongue:
post a vid lets have a look

have a look see.

[video]https://youtu.be/iUru8MxCYkQ[/video]

Yes definitely root motion. what you can try is to minimize the blend time between the two animations. I had to make mine 0.
I wll have new root motion adjusted animations sometimes in the future to more closely match epics mannequin. hoping they zeroed there’s in the meantime.

havent looked yet

Edit : what you can do is create blendspace animation. add the two animations giving issues like the climb and the jump or hang and then when you move between the blends you will probably see the rotation going all haywire.

Blending time didn’t help at all, but I did change the root motion lock to anim first frame and that seemed to make it look muuuuch better.

excellent. almost done with current project then i can spend time on revamping the ledge climbing system

Hello!

I’m currently working on a ledge climb system, too. And your videos were a great help.
The character does hang on a ledge and climbing up the ledge should be no problem.

My character should also climb left / right. How would you do that? How to manage the input for that? How do you keep the Character aligned to the wall, but also make him move smoothly and not jitterish with “setActorLocation”?

You can try using move component to instead of set location. I would probably do a trace. Actually working on a cover system that does just that. The movement i haven’t even gotten to yet. just how it knows where the edge is.
For input- a branch that fails if u are past ledge and for alignment the same way you current do the alignment. get the wall normal and reverse it

I have a problem, I’m on tutorial one, and so far your guide has been great, but when I made the ledge height, it looked like this:

When it’s supposed to be right in front of my mannequin.
This is what my blueprint looks like:

Any ideas to why it’s like this?

you forgot to plug the make vector into the output there.

Thanks, works great!

Hi thanks for all the hard work you have put into this, i have a question regarding the animation.

Ive noticed for the climb/knee up animation to make it so that your character returns back to default pose you have shifted him down during the upwards part of the motion effectively situating him back at the floor which he then stands up back into default position.

Is this the correct way of doing this? It seems a little clunky. It means you would need to animate a climb to make sure it worked and then tweak it by shifting it down in order for him to end up back at default pose, you could easily break the animation during this.

Is there not a way to have the engine to realise the position of the character has changed to ontop on the climbed object and then play the default idle pose from then on?

I hope i have made sense in trying to get my question across, thankyou - Adam

^If I remember correctly, I simply used root motion for the climb up animation and that worked fine. It’s been some time since I worked on ledge climbing stuff, though, so I may be misremembering it.

Hi. yes its the root motion making it appear as if the character is going down. That’s because the capsule component is actually going up while you are still in a hanging pose. I approached it this way to make sure the capsule has time to get into position. I reckon the animation root motion can use some readjustment. If you have root motion on you wont notice the character acting like that.

I will soon revisit the animations. Epic was kind enough to fix the rotation on the root bone so the new animations will be cleaner

Thanks for the quick replys its much appreciated!

Ah i see i will have to look into this root motion you mention, ill read it up in the unreal engine documentation - Adam

Having a couple issues. I’m sure its variable/timing related.

1. When falling toward the ledge, he doesn’t grab it where the ledge is, he slides down a few feet(relative) before stopping and grabbing (00:04) of the video

2. When falling and it misses the ledge, the character gets stuck at the bottom. Can move him EXTREMELY slowly and glitchy. Its like hes still “falling” in the logic but he’s not really. (00:58) of the video

Can see both issues in this video:
[video]https://youtu.be/uMo1eZAWUiA[/video]

Hi again , turns out i havnt animated the root within my maya climb animation, so it always stays in default position, is there a similar thing like root motion but it just follows the skeleton instead? here a playblast of my maya climb test Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life
Thanks - Adam

Thats a hard one to diagnose. I would begin to debug the hit location of the ledge height. seems its registering the wrong value and setting the variable with the bad value.
Definitely related to the vector of where the ledge is.

Hi. No your root has to be animated. You can probably just play your animation and then teleport your capsule to the end position using Set location on the capsule component. This is a nice way to cheat around the lack of root motion