Ledge Climbing System guide

Just a question to anyone who used the blueprints.
Curious how hard it was to integrate this with your games. I am busy creating a more advanced system that caters for more climbing abilities and it incorporates a cover system as well. Looking for some feedback on where to improve to make integration easier and quicker and more transparent.

Thx in advance for the feedback

In all honesty, I thought it was pretty easy IF you watched the videos. Hardest part for integration was getting the interfaces to call each other properly and anim notifies to work. Now me personally, the next system should be pretty easy to integrate this time around. No one has chimed in yet so I can’t speak for them of course.

I implemented the ledge climbing factor of this project, I threw away the whole wall running etc… I used a custom skeleton with custom animations and found it very easy to implement in. I feel like there would be a better way to do the trace by not using a whole sphere encasing the character.

I have also replicated the necessary parts of code and got this working in Multiplayer. I got rid of all of the interface functions apart from the ledge climb up as that requires root motion. Replaced them with OnRep Bools for the animgraph.

The main issue I get in multiplayer on the rare occasion (when you try to grab a ledge at an extreme angle) the client believes it didn’t grab the ledge but the server believes it has so you are stuck in an infinite climbing state I could change the Sphere encasing the character to be just in front of the character to avoid it working at extreme angles and maybe look at swapping out the MoveToComponent node. If I get a solid multiplayer solution ill post it here.

Thanks to for the framework. You are a talented guy and could improve this immensely

Thx for the feedback.

I will have update animations soon and a new cat rig. Busy fixing the workaround i had to do during rigging and animating to compensate for the root rotation values that Epic fixed now.
Will revisit the project and see how i can improve on it and how to better approach the situation based on the recommendations.

I also created a cover system based off this so should have new tutorials on youtube soon.

Sorry if this has already been asked but I am only through part one and everything work as it should except the animation. The animation just won’t play no matter what I do. It’s probably something obvious that I am missing. Could someone please help me out on this?

Hi,

I don’t think this issue has been found with anyone else, but my character will only climb up in one direction. Everything works fine when climbing from his side of the ledge:

But this happens if I try to grab the ledge from any other side.

I’m part way through your third tutorial video, so I don’t know if this has always been a problem or something I’ve done recently?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello Jmadden69, I was wondering if you ever fixed this problem, and if you did could you help me solve it?

Hi and 1st of all i would Like to Thank you So Much for your Huge effort and this Awesome tutorial I consider my Self as a graphics artist and not as programmer and this is what exactly i was looking For for the project i am working alone so far. after watching and downloading your Tutorial my question is Is there any way to convert/modify the blueprint i made or the one u provide in your website for a sidescroler Game ? if so you will give me a huge boost over my Project
i would like to thank you once more from my heart for all your work and also thank you in advance for the responce

Kind Regards Dimitris Anogianakis

I’m using ver. 4.9.2 and I have an issue with the tracer, it shows up, but it doesn’t extend or hit an object like yours does at 9:22
http://postimg.org/image/969gymrc1/

Nevermind I fixed it, I forgot to put the 150 values

Hello ,

thank you for this tutorial and blueprints which were easy to implement into my existing blueprint. I have a bug to report in your project (std48).

On GrabLedge MoveComponentTo.TargetRelativeRotation is making the character rotate once if you are walking to the opposite side of the wall and try to grab. Each time before the character goes into climb/grab mode it rotates. Grabbing climbing still works but it looks funny.

Kind regards and keep on with the good work!

Check the normal vector section you use to set rotation value from the wall normal

Had the same issue when i started this. Just double check that your trace locations are firing correctly. I could only climb left.
I will revisit this soon for 4.12 and optimize it.

Until then im a bit rusty with what i did

Mighty ,

I come bearing a great disturbance,
I encountered a bug :/.

My character floats up to about halfway of the ledge without an input if I get close enough. You even acknowledged this in part 2, but didn’t provide a fix, unless I think you didn’t.

Thanks in super advance! :slight_smile:

While my character is grabbing the ledge I can still move in the air. How do I fix this?

It does not work

Hi .
First off: Thanks for this awesome tutorials!!
Unfortunately i have a problem with your part 2 video.
To be more specific: at the end,after setting everything up,when i try to climb by pressing the jump button,the character climb the ledge correctly,but then fall in the mesh and return to his initial climb state (when he’s attached). It’s like the ledge mesh doesn’t have collision and so the character keep repeating the same state.
I hope i’ve described the problem correctly.
Thanks!

Hello. It’s been more than a half year since you wrote this, but I just wanted to reply since I’ve been having what appears to be the same problem. By turning on the capsule i could see that although my character moved far enough up to by visually standing on top of the object, the capsule didn’t move far enough up, so it still intersected with the object when the climb animation was finished, which caused the character to fall back into his previous state of hanging on to the ledge. The way that I fixed this (and your situation might not be the same, but it sounded similar) was by taking the ledge height vector we had made earlier, and move the capsule to the top of the ledge while the animation was playing with a variation of the system we used for moving the capsule to the wall in the first place.

changed up the blueprint like this:

It’s not the most elegant solution, and my third person cam kind of bugs out, but it works. (note that my first person cam is fine though).

Edit:
After some experimenting I sometimes run into a issue where the actor will relocate when climbing. I assume that is due to it not finding the x/y values that i insert into the vector properly. I’m not sure why this is, but I still think it’s a good start. With the issue being the capsule not moving enough. I imagine I’ll have to change the root animation in my animation, and then that will possibly make it work without the workaround I did.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just found your tutorial. I looked at part one, and everything is working fine but I can’t seem to get my character’s ledge hanging animation to play.

I’ve got this:

And then in the anim graph I’ve got this:

But it won’t work. Additionally, my character can still move around freely. I’m using 4.13.1, so they probably changed it. Thanks if you can help.

Hi, .
Your tutorials are very useful. So thank you. But i’ve got one problem doing it.
I have followed all 5 tutorials for my side-scroller game and everything works fine, but when my character grabs the wall and climbs on it or lets it go he can no longer rotate. And if i want to run backward he is moving backward, but plays the animation of moving forward (sorry for my bad english).
How can i fix it?