Launch Character node using network replication

I wanted to share my solution to a problem that I haven’t found addressed elsewhere.

I attempted to add a dash feature to a third-person character using the ‘Launch Character’ node. This worked well in single-player mode, but in multiplayer, the character either didn’t dash or seemed to dash only to have its position immediately reset.

I believe this issue was due to some sort of server authority restricting the character’s movement. In an attempt to resolve this, I disabled the ‘Replicate Movement’ checkbox on the third-person character. While this initially seemed to solve the problem by allowing the character to dash, the movement then failed to replicate across the network!

Ultimately, my solution involved creating two custom events: one to run on the server and another to multicast. This approach successfully addressed the problem.

Given the frustration I experienced due to the lack of available solutions online, I’m hopeful that my findings will assist someone else in the future.

Here is the graph solution:
Launch Character node using network replication, as posted by PixelFireXY on blueprintUE for Unreal Engine.

For additional context, here are other posts I found during my research:

You’re using CMC in which the server has authority over movement.

Knowing this you locally apply the dash, then RPC the server to do the same Dash.

This is the same process for sprinting. Apply local speed change, RPC server to do the same.

1 Like