Lasers, how do they work?

My goal is to create a laser looking light using Exponential Height Fog (with volumetric checked) combined with a very narrow but very bright SpotLight.

My issue is that it always looks splotchy/low-res for some reason (like in the screenshot).

I can provide info, screenshots, or anything you need to help me. Thank you for your time.

Volumetric fog has a limited resolution and quality doesn’t scale very quickly with increased resolution. You’re better off using more traditional vfx approaches or a mesh.

1 Like

I attempted to use volumetric lighting to get an effect where light was piercing through holes in a curtain but it didn’t work out very well. I think the size is too small for what you are wanting to achieve as mentioned, it’s more suited to larger and wider areas.

You would be better to use a group of long planes that intersect and apply a mask/translucent material to it to get the effect you want. You can also add emissive to this to get an intense glow.

1 Like

You’re right, the size was too small. I increased the outer cone size from 0.3 to 1.0 and it looks pretty much perfect. Thank you so much for your help, this problem has been plaguing me for days.