Landscape and world position offset

Hello,

I believe there might be a bug when using the “Absolute World Position” node in a material that is applied to a landscape.

At first I thought my math was wrong for my vertex offset so I did a test case where i would simply apply a straight “Absolute world position” node into the material attribute and the result is a flickering landscape and disappearing cells.

If i disconnect the world offset then the landscape renders fine again.
Once the node is connected what basically happens is the landscape disappears in chunks
Its faily easy to reproduce (running UE 4.4 )

Could someone confirm that this is a bug ? or am I doing something that I shouldn’t ?

regards,

Hi ,

Does this occur on a blank project with no additional content? Do the cells simply go back to a default material or do they disappear entirely?

Hi ,

We have not heard from you in quite some time. I am marking this as answered for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing this error, please comment with the requested information. Thank you!

apologies for the delay. I tried now creating a simple Third Person Blueprint project.
Import any landscape then apply a simple material that consists of a constVector3 color for the basecolor and for the World Position Offset i simply apply a “Absolute World Position” without modifications.

I attach for you 3 simple material tests that all break horribly the landscape.
I am on Ue 4.5 now btw.

Hi ,

After some testing I have found that World Position Offset is working as intended. However, it should not be used in Landscape Materials. This is typically used to alter the position of a vertex and typically is used with materials that have some form of movement involved. What are you attempting to accomplish with your landscape material?

I am trying to “curve” my landscape" the further away from the player position it is. I am attempting to create an “earth curvature” effect.

It may be better to do this with a plane that has a material placed on it. Landscapes tend to react very poorly to materials that do things like that or anything that involves manipulating individual vertices for an effect (I’d recommend steering clear of tessellation as well in this case).

hm… that probably means I will have to give up on this idea. I definitely want to keep using landscapes.

It is a situation where faking the effect is going to be cleaner and more beneficial than attempting to do it through the landscape.

Link: Solution