Kinect 4 Windows v2.0 Plugin

Hey all!
I have a new video overview of the next version of the plugin demo :slight_smile:

https://wwwā€¦com/watch?v=uaU8PhBg-EE

Very cool i may end up using this for a project :slight_smile:

Hi ,

This is , i have tried to recode and Compile your Plugin implementation but for the old Kinect V1.0 device using Kinect SDK NuiApi Calls in the UE4 Source Project and got the engine updated with K4WPlugin in the Plugins List of the UE4 Editor.
But the problem is that when i try to enable the plugin and try making Kinect API calls in the Unreal FPS demo sample, API Calls get identified properly but i end up getting this error message for the Kinect module - " Couldn't find module rules file for the module 'Kinect4Windows' ". 
Since am new to UE4 and VC++ in general i couldn't go beyond this point. 

Please suggest me any solution for this and yeah your progress on Kinect V2 for UE4 is i feel simply awesome and this is making me to try the same on my Kinect V1.0 device :slight_smile:

[=;53460]
Hi ,

This is , i have tried to recode and Compile your Plugin implementation but for the old Kinect V1.0 device using Kinect SDK NuiApi Calls in the UE4 Source Project and got the engine updated with K4WPlugin in the Plugins List of the UE4 Editor.
But the problem is that when i try to enable the plugin and try making Kinect API calls in the Unreal FPS demo sample, API Calls get identified properly but i end up getting this error message for the Kinect module - " Couldn't find module rules file for the module 'Kinect4Windows' ". 
Since am new to UE4 and VC++ in general i couldn't go beyond this point. 

Please suggest me any solution for this and yeah your progress on Kinect V2 for UE4 is i feel simply awesome and this is making me to try the same on my Kinect V1.0 device :slight_smile:
[/]

Hey !

Due to NDA restrictions I cannot redistribute the SDK of the V2 therefore the Kinect4Windows (which meanwhile was replaced with much more generic module) module is written in such way that will work only for developers with access to the SDK and the V1 SDK is not compatible with V2 SDK.
Also I am in a process of reorganizing my git (I hate git) and it will include the latest version of the plugin but again if you do not have access to the V2 SDK it wonā€™t compile.

Writing hardware pluginā€™s is pretty heavy C++ and plugins for hardware such as Kinect also requires good knowledge of multithreading.
I would suggest you before starting work on your own Kinect pugin first to learn C++ (I recommend to learn the basics first then to read Scott Meyerā€™s Effective C++ and More effective C++) then dig really deep into the inner workings of UE4.

For now on the UE4 side:

Take a look at:

1. IInputDevice module which is the base module of my plugin.
  2. FRunnable which is the base class for multithreaded implementations.
  3. Learn about global events (There is a good tutorial in the wiki written by ).

There are many different parts to my plugin and it will take me few hours to summarize it all (Iā€™m writing documentation for it) so please forgive me if I forgot something or was unclear.
If you have any other questions I am here.

Does your new update work with 4.1.1 this time or not?

[=;53578]
[/]

I am testing it right now

Great Job! Impressive! Have you thought on implementing a point cloud to mesh solution, something like

https://vimeo.com/76982387

This may be great for more reliable physics, than the skeletonā€¦
but maybe it is not performant enough, I am no coderā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:
here is an example someone made with kinect 1 using processing

it might be an interesting feature, since you are making such great plug in!

anyways, keep up the great work!! :slight_smile:

[=catalejo;53679]
Great Job! Impressive! Have you thought on implementing a point cloud to mesh solution, something like

https://vimeo.com/76982387

This may be great for more reliable physics, than the skeletonā€¦
but maybe it is not performant enough, I am no coderā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:
here is an example someone made with kinect 1 using processing

it might be an interesting feature, since you are making such great plug in!

anyways, keep up the great work!! :slight_smile:
[/]

I could look into it, itā€™s just a matter of implementing Marching tetrahedra algorithm.

[=;53578]
[/]

4.1.1 plugin is up on github under Kinect4Windows-V2-Plugin-411 branch

no need to recompile the whole engine just copy the plugin folder and compile your copy of the engine with the plugin

[=;53700]
I could look into it, itā€™s just a matter of implementing Marching tetrahedra algorithm.
[/]

Oh yes, if it is something you can doā€¦ might be an interesting thing to have :slight_smile:

I am getting errors compiling the latest plugin update with 4.1.1, wether putting the Kinect2 plugin only or the entire source files

Erreur 2 error : Failed to produce item: C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Plugins\KinectV2\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-KinectV2.dll C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR UE4
Erreur 1 error C1083: Impossible dā€™ouvrir le fichier includeĀ : ā€˜Kinect.hā€™Ā : No such file or directory c:\unrealengine\engine\plugins\kinectv2\source\kinectv2\classes\KinectFunctionLibrary.h 8 1 UE4
Erreur 3 error MSB3073: La commande ā€œā€¦..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Developmentā€ sā€™est arrĆŖtĆ©e avec le code -1. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 38 5 UE4

Do you have access to Kinect V2 SDK?
If you do, please check that it is properly installed and that you have KINECT20_DIR system variable setup.
As I said before due to NDA restrictions I cannot redistribute the sdk so the plugin is designed to work only with properly installed SDK via the Microsoft installation

Looks pretty **** good i will have to give it a try. I did a bit of work previously using the IR on it and reflective markers just for head tracking for the oculus which worked relatively well but this will be much better for the whole body tracking. Hopefully when they actually release the full version we will be able to use multiple kinects. I have 3 kinect v1ā€™s which gives a slightly better result then the v2 but really looking forward to hooking up 2 or 3 v2ā€™s and using the colour image to project your whole body into the game without needing a skinned 3D model.

Any chance that you could throw up a quick example level that you have done for the full body avateering so that I could start playing around with it without needing to do all the doubling up on the skeletal stuff?

[=ZoltanJr;56397]
Looks pretty **** good i will have to give it a try. I did a bit of work previously using the IR on it and reflective markers just for head tracking for the oculus which worked relatively well but this will be much better for the whole body tracking. Hopefully when they actually release the full version we will be able to use multiple kinects. I have 3 kinect v1ā€™s which gives a slightly better result then the v2 but really looking forward to hooking up 2 or 3 v2ā€™s and using the colour image to project your whole body into the game without needing a skinned 3D model.

Any chance that you could throw up a quick example level that you have done for the full body avateering so that I could start playing around with it without needing to do all the doubling up on the skeletal stuff?
[/]

Hey ZoltanJr!
I have already posted a demo room with avateering (links below).

[=;50605]
Hey Guys!

Iā€™m really glad to post to post the following links to some demos of the plugin in action!

Prebuilt

Editor Project
[/]

Hey guys!

I have a new video of an animated avateering!

https://wwwā€¦com/watch?v=RHBzJFSUirA

This is amazing work, keep up the awsome job!

github link

Hi

Is the github link working? only get 404 message. Thanks and keep up the cool work.

Very Cool, looking forward to my kinect v2 being shipped.

Is it very surprising/feel weird when kinect has trouble detecting joint faces and having joint spin 180 and then return? Iā€™ve noticed this problem in most kinect v2 demos. Hopefully this gets better cause i bet it is jarring and doesnt feel good.

Hey guys!
Sorry it took me a while to respond but things have been a bit hectic at work.

I am working on a release version of the plugin and I hope that it will be released soon after the official release of the SDK.

About the feel in case of infrared joints I am working on adding an option to filter that out.
But when I tested it with the oculus it wasnā€™t that bad.

Compilation help

Hey ,

Iā€™m extremely impressed with what youā€™ve done so far.
Can you advise me on building the plugin? I have the required hardware/software, but Iā€™m getting a couple errors.

Error	3	error : Couldn't find module rules file for module 'OpenCV'.

If I comment ā€œOpenCVā€ out from KinectV2.Build.cs ( I know I shouldnā€™t)ā€¦ I get further, but then I get:

Error	2	error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'OneEuroFilter.h': No such file or directory

It seems Iā€™m missing OneEuroFilter.h, but itā€™s nowhere to be found.
I tried using one from here, but no luck.
Please advise,

Thank you,