Kinect 4 Windows v2.0 Plugin

Well for now it’s on my github and for now as long as the k4w v2 isn’t officially released it will stay free (It’s my hobby project).
My final goal is (when my Oculus dk2 will arrive) is to create a total immersion APU combat simulator inspired by this:

https://.com/watch?v=dE4ZOYVKwfQ

That’s something I’ve thought of too that would work really well. Though I think it could work better using the new Sixense controller system

Another game that would be cool (combined with the Rift) would be a Pacific Rim game, where you’re controlling the Jaeger.

this is really great - i was going to start on this as soon as i got my new work pc (my imac is useless with my kinect v2) which should be any day now, would love to help contribute, also have some big plans for kinect + oculus :smiley:

[=;24967]
That’s something I’ve thought of too that would work really well. Though I think it could work better using the new Sixense controller system
[/]

Yes, I agree with the Sixense controller. The addition of haptic feedback with the Sixense I think would make a big difference in immersion for this case.

Aryeh, have you started any work on your game logic and content or have you been focusing on the interface?

[=dkloving;25293]
Yes, I agree with the Sixense controller. The addition of haptic feedback with the Sixense I think would make a big difference in immersion for this case.

Aryeh, have you started any work on your game logic and content or have you been focusing on the interface?
[/]

For now I am working on the most time consuming part, the interface.
Also the fact that I want to use an oculus means that I need to wait for the DK2 to come out :frowning:
So no game logic yet.

About the sixense controller, fortunately enough I work at a hardware company so my plan is to build one myself (just for the fun).

so if you follow my github you know that I added new functions to the blueprint library.

also I finally figured out how to do basic retargeting (based on joint position rather than on joint orientation).

here’s an example blueprint (you will need to inherit from AKinectListenerActor) :

https://www…com/watch?v=4UMKeXyqjiU

Using kinect joint orientation data

[=;26410]
so if you follow my github you know that I added new functions to the blueprint library.

also I finally figured out how to do basic retargeting (based on joint position rather than on joint orientation).

here’s an example blueprint (you will need to inherit from AKinectListenerActor) :

https://www…com/watch?v=4UMKeXyqjiU

[/]

Hi , i saw your video. I am also trying to animate a character in UDK using kinect sensor(first version).
For this i wrote my DLL that gives me raw kinect orientation data.
Now inside my udk, i made an animation tree with which i can access all the bones of my character in udk script. I am not able to convert the orientation data from Kinect co-ordinate system to udk co-ordinates.

Could you please help me in doing this?
that would really be very helpful. I have been trying to do this since more than 1month.

Thanks

I am stuck there too

Hey ,

The progress that has been completed so far looks awesome. Can’t wait to give it a shot when I get the chance.

[=Sean Gribbin;33684]
Hey ,

The progress that has been completed so far looks awesome. Can’t wait to give it a shot when I get the chance.
[/]

Hey Sean!

It is a grate honor for me to receive such comments from Epic developers!

Thank you very much!

Also I have a new video of the plugin:

.com/watch?v=Waz5OFFJW2w

Hey all another video!
This time the bone rotations unlike before are actually calculated directly from the Kinect bone orientations and and not by calculating the rotation from joint positions.

BTW This is the most amazing thing I have ever experienced!
Enjoy!

https://www…com/watch?v=KMVe1LWOFJM

That’s really awesome!

How to install this with 4.1.1 version and not altering with other plugins like FluidSurface Plugin Release v0.0.3 and Paper2D Plugin and WindowsTextureMovie Plugin? Beacuse all use source files and change the engine and when comibing both I get errors compiling. Thanks.

[=;39178]
How to install this with 4.1.1 version and not altering with other plugins like FluidSurface Plugin Release v0.0.3 and Paper2D Plugin and WindowsTextureMovie Plugin? Beacuse all use source files and change the engine and when comibing both I get errors compiling. Thanks.
[/]

You can’t, I need to update it to 4.1.1 first because of the changes I made in the engine.

This looks great! Looking forward to trying this out :smiley: My current crunch period is ending and I’m “allowed” to start playing with my Kinect 2 kit soon.

I know it’s only a rough implementation, but the jitters make me worried :slight_smile: maybe some kind of ransac/smoothing implementation is needed to sort that out?

[=;39178]
[/]

I redesigned the plugin and now it is compatible with the standard UE and also works with 4.1.1, I will release it to my git hub a bit later

[=SiggiG;42893]
This looks great! Looking forward to trying this out :smiley: My current crunch period is ending and I’m “allowed” to start playing with my Kinect 2 kit soon.

I know it’s only a rough implementation, but the jitters make me worried :slight_smile: maybe some kind of ransac/smoothing implementation is needed to sort that out?
[/]

You really don’t need to worry about the jitter, I’ll filter it out abit later.
My focus right now is full body avateering and maybe a editor retargeting tool.

Major update incoming!

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you know about the changes and new features that will be included in the next update.

1. No more custom engine build!
    The plugin framework is now based on IInputDeviceModule that means that it is now a true plugin.

2. One editor to rule them all!
    From the next update if you want Kinect in your game you don’t need to go into C++ at all!
    That means that no more recompiling and overriding functions all you’ll need to receive Kinect events is to add kinect listener inrerface to any blueprint you want and you will get instantly a Kinect event in that blueprint!

3. If the kinect can recognize track hand states why can’t I see it on my model?
    Well the update will include an animation node adding the ability to blend animations with the kinect controlled avatar!
    So now if you close or open your hand the model will too!

4. Who said that if you stand in one spot in your room you should stay in the same place in game?
    The update will include body joystick! Want to go back and forward just lean forward or back! If you want to strafe just lean to the sides!
    And if you want to turn? No problem! Use your shoulders as a steering wheel!

Hey guys!

I have uploaded all of my work so far to github.

Some new additions and changes:

Added interfaces for all of the camera streams, they are available as UTexture2D from an event that becomes available by inheriting from the appropriate interface in the editor.
Reworked frame acquisition method from direct polling to WinAPI event based system.

https://.com/watch?v=sZnbz3QKeQY

Hey Guys!

I’m really glad to post to post the following links to some demos of the plugin in action!

Prebuilt

Editor Project

I’m glad someone is working on Unreal Engine 4 integration; I, too, signed up for the dev kit, but I suspect will only have June to use it.