Is the material overlay not working on nanite meshes ( UE 5.1 ) ?

Hello,

Here the mesh on the left is Nanite, the one on the right is a basic shape, both have the exact same material instance applied.

It seems to me that the new Material Overlay thing from UE 5.1 update isn’t working on nanite meshes but I can’t see anything about that anywhere. Can anyone confirm that or tell me if there is any option to tick somewhere in my project settings/asset/shader ?
( it seems like it’s working for most from the fiew videos / post i’ve seen however they are not talking about nanite at all so they might all be using normal meshes since it’s very new)

Thank you !

Yep, same here… maybe someone from EPIC can say something about?

Hi @thibautBN,

One of the recommended ways to notify us that you’re experiencing an odd issue would be to report your bug to our team. The Unreal Engine bug submission form can be found here. When submitting a report, we highly encourage everyone to include images and videos, but any and all details are helpful!

We may reach out if more information is needed.

Thank you!

'- Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator :smiley:

I think the issue here is that the Overlay Material is considered for translucent effects, as stayed in the notes, but you can use opaque and masked materials without problem… unless the mess is nanite. I think that is a missing feature at Epic…

I will like to use masked materials as overlays on nanites, since it worked as main material (I just tested it) with nanite enable, but only works as overlay if I check the new “Disallow Nanite”.

Thank you.