Incorrect shadows inside a closed room

have you tried increasing the lightmap resolution of your meshes

I have an issue with the shadows. I have a room that is completely closed and this room is illuminated by 2 light source from opposite sides. It should be completely dark in the room, but it doesn’t. It might seems that the light sources shine through the walls a bit, but actually this happens due to wrong shadows. You can see this effect in the screenshots below:

How can I fix it?

UPDATE:

Let’s simplify the task. I have created a cube that have 2 sides - internal and external. I moved it close to the light and placed a camera inside this cube. And I see seams of this cube which are lit.

UPDATE 2:

Also, I noticed that UVs coords are not coincide to the edges. Perhaps, this is a reason of problem. How to fix them?

If you have a skylight and it is anything other than moveable, it will cause light everywhere.

Do the walls of the room have depth, or are they of plane thickness?

I have a skylight, but it is disabled. My walls have the internal plane and external one. So they are double-sided. I even tried to wrap my room by cube - nothing happened.

It doesn’t solve the problem

Yeah, it’s like the cube’s not there, right? If so, it’s leaking light. It gets a bit better if you have both skylight and directional moveable. The only real cure for that is complete meshes, ie, they are fully constructed.

When you say skylight is disabled, do you mean you clicked the ‘eye’ thing? Doesn’t make any difference, you have to delete it if you don’t want it.

Have you tried with double sided material?
To be honest Unreal doesn’t treat well planes as walls: for correct calculation meshes need to have thickness!!
Also lightmap uvs and resolution: if your lightmap resolution is low and the uv edges don’t align perfectly but there is a line of texels that fall/cover both sides then lighting information might get pulled over to the other side… I hope it makes sense…

I updated my question. Please review.

I updated my question. Please review.

I created a thick cube and set double sided material. In additional, I broke up UVs for the lightmap manually, as well as using the “generate lightmap UVs” functionality. All these steps don’t work.

Hi - update on your update. We have to get the way we’re discussing this clear:

Your cube. There has to be distance between the inside and the outside, the has to be thickness, do you get what I mean?

Just like if you make 2 cubes and put one inside the other, the inside one needs to be smaller by at least a few cm ( in unreal units ).

Yes, I made 2 cubes exactly as you described. The smaller one has inverted normals. If the distance between 2 cubes is quite large, then the artifacts are smaller, but still exist. But I can’t afford very thick wall. The thicker the wall, the less artifacts. So, to get rid of artifacts at all, you need to make a very thick wall

the shadows on the lamps arent completly accurate you have to play with the shadow settings and hope it fixes it

No, it doesn’t need to be very thick, just needs some depth.

Did you delete the skylight ( for now ), and rebuild light?

It wont be light params. I’ll think a bit more…

With which parameters should I play?

I disabled skylight (uncheck the “affects world” checkbox). I rebuild the light every time I make reimport the mesh. Perhaps, something wrong with my light parameters?

I deleted faces in my cubes to make it like a tunnel to show the light bleeding. And it is also possible to see the thickness of my tunnel.

Ok, so just to double check. This wall would work fine, see how it’s enclosed:

Might try turning off any reflection captures also…

I just made a box-room in UE. It does work fine, no leaks.

The further from the light source, the bigger light bleeding. In this scene I use a standard UE cube.

303851-light-bleeding2.gif