Image tracking/detection not working in UE5 (ARKit)

Thanks - 4.27 worked fine. Anything from 5.0.0 onwards is broken.

2 Likes

Has anyone else found issues with 4.27 and CandidateObject tracking @xadamxful - we’re using your example for this (great work btw). Any engine versions we consider pretty solid for ARCandidateObject tracking?

PS - I assume if CandidateImage tracking is broken in 5, it also means CandidateObject may be as well?

1 Like

Hi David, object detection should work in all versions. Which IOS device are you using? I did most of my testing in the earlier versions of 4.27 but I will test again in 4.27.2 in case I missed something. Also the discord server is here if you want to chat AR Toolkit

1 Like

We’re using iPad Pro 2020 and 2021 models with 4.27.2. Will follow up separately in discord on object tracking.

hey thank you so much for this i was searching for solution i stucked at that type during my hope it will work for me easily.

1 Like

Update on this - it’s my understanding that iOS ARKit features are not a priority for 5.1 release either - hopefully they’ll get there with 5.2 as they’re currently 2 engine versions behind where iOS users are stuck at 4.27.

I would hope that these feature sets will get prioritised given the new wave of XR hardware that is coming out (Pico, Lenovo, Magic Leap 2, Quest etc) which all need a solid AR featureset to build on.

1 Like

Hey David, did you finally make any progress on this or confirm image tracking isn’t working for UE 5.1 as well? I see 5.2 should be out soon and they’ve posted the roadmap finally since GDC but I don’t see anything about iOS.

It’s not there in 5.2.
4.27 is the only version where it’s working at all.

Also note, Apple are changing their TestFlight requirements this month (minimum XCode and iOS build version) which means any apps made with 4.27 will no longer be shippable on TestFlight.

Therefore as of this month, it will not be possible to ship any kind of iOS AR app with Unreal engine.

We’ve been asking Epic to fix this for well over a year (longer factoring in other broken AR features) and it’s not been a priority.

Needless to say, this is causing us serious pipeline issues and we’re quite disappointed.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update, this is very frustrating

From what I’ve heard, using the 4.27+ branch and building the engine from source may get a 4.27 up on TestFlight again.

Haven’t had a chance to test myself yet due to the time needed to build the engine from source

1 Like

Tested this today with xCode 14.2 in Unreal 4.27-plus branch and it worked with no errors or warnings on Test Flight, AR Image detection/tracking also working for ARKit

2 Likes

It seems for us that 4.27+ does not play well with the latest XCode meaning whilst you can package, certain functions (such as access to iOS files) is now not possible.

It’s broken and not usable for us

Hi folks,
anybody tried this on 5.3.0 yet?
Thanks!

Nothing stated in release notes so I wouldn’t expect anything.

Any hopes that Epic’s exploration of native Vision OS will lead to ARKit being brought out of regression?

Well, now after that Unity debacle it is perfect time for them to look into this. I have to port AR app from Unity to Unreal and at this point it seems to be impossible.

Might have to look into Flutter or React Native.

Crossing my fingers that EPIC takes their AR more seriously now that a lot of AR devs are coming this way!

Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed at all in 5.3 releases? This has been totally broken since 4.27 (and even the 4.27+ branch struggles now as it can’t keep up to date with XCode changes)

Just tested it and Image tracking is working for me in 5.2 (model scaling was a bit off but think that’s just because I was using a larger image on the screen, not a print on paper. Tracking and orientation was all fine though)

I think it was working in 5.3 last time I tested but AR tracking is completely unusable for me in 5.3: UE5.3 AR Actor Location Not Positioning Correctly (IOS)

Have you tried testing on TestFlight yet? Last time were testing, everything was fine in debug builds however camera feed was just a black screen on TestFlight builds.

Should there be a thread just for iOS AR regressions?

1 Like

Could you guys solve the tracking issues eventually?