I have a product on marketplace and i need your advice. Should i remove the support for older version of UE?

I have a product on marketplace. I am planning to upgrade it and lumen and Nanite are more stable in 5.2. So I was thinking about upgrading the project from UE 5.0 to 5.2. Because, this product work with Lumen and Nanite. it is getting really hard to test the shader in 5.0 because most of the things got better in the recent version like, they added the support for custom depth for Nanite. and they also improved Gi and shadows. They also added support for translucent reflections.
So it feels like I am working blindly because I am working in 5.0 and it doesn’t have some features. So I can’t test while I am working. I will need to migrate every time i need to test.

is it a good idea to remove the support for an older version of UE 5 and upgrading the project to 5.2?

Hey @Ibtesam_Sadiq!

I wouldn’t get rid of 5.0 support, as that would negatively impact anyone working in your earlier version. However, if you don’t already, you should add a separate version for 5.2 in an update so you can just update that version of the features can’t be made possible in 5.0 or 5.1. Just make sure you have disclaimers in place before you update.

By having a separate version, you can exclusively work on features for 5.2 in 5.2, without having to jump back and forth.

Good luck with updating your product!

1 Like

thanks for the advice

The terms and conditions for you as a seller state you must support the latest 3 major versions of the engine. Go with that. EPIC doesn’t have any LTS terms and doesn’t offer any LTS version of the engine, which is a major pain to us all. You can’t be expected to offer LTS in this state. The latest 3 versions (5.0, 5.1, 5.2) is fine. EPIC pushes everyone to the new versions so by the time 5.3 releases 5.0 is already dead to them which is not a good thing.

2 Likes