How to setup networking?

I’m looking to setup the networking (i.e. GameSession, MatchMaking, ect.) of my game and while the shooter example demonstrates this, it’s not straight forward and doesn’t do much for explanation. I would really like to learn how to properly setup the multiplayer features but there’s no walkthrough or explanation of how to do so.

also, do I have the option of building on top of the ShooterGame demo or do I risk some sort of legal actions. I would love to learn how to set this stuff up but the lack of information and documentation is really discouraging me.

There has to be some sort of useful information somewhere, right? I mean, how do the people at Epic learn how to use and implement this stuff?

The ShooterGame demo is yours to modify or extend as much as you please. Experimentation is a great way to learn. Check out the answer in this thread for some places to start: Any other reference/guides? to C++ Networking? - Editor Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums

You also may benefit from watching/reading the blueprint networking content, as it is relevant to C++ as well.

Some good docs:

A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums,Using_ReplicatedUsing/_RepNotify_vars

Thanks for the info. I do understand replication and RPC’s. It’s pretty simple. I’ve even put together my own implementation to handle “Big Data” because currently UE4 can’t do it. What I am having trouble with is setting up Sessions and Matchmaking using an online subsystem.

I think this is the site that is meant to be used for documentation and examples but at closer inspection of the links and information, it’s rather lacking.

Online Subsystem Overview

Thanks. I’m thinking I should be able to compare UT with ShooterGame and have a better idea of what is happening.

I agree that it is lacking quite a bit, I think their main focus is on Blueprint support for the non-programmer at the moment as they added Online Subsystem session nodes to Blueprint recently. I think your best option right now is to look at ShooterGame code, or the Unreal Tournament code which is on GitHub.

I’ve been browsing the ShooterGame code but didn’t even think about looking at the UT code. I’ll have to get that tomorrow and check it out! In the mean time, I need a beer.

Best of luck, sorry I couldn’t be of more help. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.