How to remove that Grass shadow

Hello, i am stuck with that shadow and i cannot remove it :

i don’t have any sort of shadow enabled on grass for stylized purpose, however lumen is generating an ambient occlusion on it.

if i go there i can delete it :

but it affects my tree when i am around it

Before :

After :

isn’t there a way to tweak the short range of the ambient occlusion, or a way to say no ambient occlusion on grass?

i tried to disable this as they said on another forum but it did not work :

I am lost, please help me friends… :sob:

It’s the tree casting the shadow, you have to disable ‘cast shadow’ on the tree :slight_smile:

very funny

1 Like

I was being serious, I think I’m totally missing what you mean… :smiley:

I see what you mean. The stuff in between the grass?

You can tweak ambient occlusion with a post process volume.

i tried and it did not work, for more information i found this post but parameters has changed
https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/saafcj/can_lumens_ambient_occlusion_be_turned_off_dont/

i really need to know how to control the short range ambiant occlusion setting

So did you turn off ‘affect distance field lighting’ on the grass mesh? ( I don’t know where you got stuck )

i did it like this :

and like this :

Hmm… I’m stumped then, sorry :ghost:

Hi there @Sunleash3d,

This topic has been moved from International to Rendering.

When posting, please review the categories to ensure your topic is posted in the most relevant space.

Thanks and happy developing! :slight_smile:

in editor:

r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.ShortRangeAO 0

in the default engine ini file:

r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.ShortRangeAO=0

There is i think no option to disable the ShortRange AO on spcific objects right now.

You could also try if you using the landscape grass to play around with this command and setting it to 0

r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.ScreenTraces.ThicknessScaleWhenNoFallback=0

This will only remove the ambient occlusion on the grass with the grass layer method if you paint the grass with the foliage tool it will still do a bit ambient occlusion on the grass

1 Like

Again I recently hit this same issue and replied in another thread but just in case anyone is still looking for a solution what worked for me was changing the Material shading model to “Two Sided Foliage”. It does not matter if your grass needs alpha masked opacity or if it needs to be Two Sided as long as the shading model is set to the foliage type it seems to have the expectation that distance field AO should not treat this like it would any other default lit opaque or masked thing. Have you tried that out?

1 Like