How to get good reflections for static objects?

Hi ppl, i’m making an archviz project for VR and i wanted better proportions on box reflection captures, i can’t use planar reflection because they’re very expensive for VR, and i also don’t need dynamic reflections, just static ones, i’ve researched a lot but i couldn’t find a way to get good reflections in foward shading without planar reflection. If i could just get the first result of a planar reflection and made some parallax texture with that it would be perfect.

You could potentially do it the old fashion way and simply have a whole fake room on the other side of the mirror.
Or you could use a cube map room projection (most famously as seen in Spiderman 2018, although the technique has been around a lot longer).

The fake room option is actually what i’m trying to avoid by using planar reflections (more rendering and draw calls). I’ve tried using a cubemap capture from unreal but it gave me similar results, still lacking that proportion, i wonder if it’s possible to actually get the output of a planar reflection and save it as some texture.

A fake room is typically less far expensive than a planar reflection because a planar reflection requires rendering the scene twice, effectively doubling the frame-time. A fake room will batch nearly all of its draws with the real room since all of the objects in it will be instances of the meshes and materials in the true room. This strategy was cheap enough to run on a Nintendo 64.

Cubemap room projection / interior mapping is not the same as a simple cubemap. Room projection uses special UV coordinates to create correct parallax of a simple room.

1 Like