How to get a programmer

I’m willing to bet you’ve never bothered implementing server-side authority. If you’ve ever worked with a multiplayer game you should know that players can and will abuse any client-side mechanics they have access to.

Your gameplay is too fast paced. If you’re operating w40k style armor you need to slow down the gameplay into a defensive objective style game mode.
I would make it a bunker defense holdout, somewhat similar to Insurgency Sandstorm.

I’ve implemented both.
And if you think that just because something is client side, clients have full access, you couldn’t be more wrong.
Sure, it’s not as safe as having everything verified by a server authority, but it’s also not something anyone gives 2 craps about.
Cheating happens, server-side or non server-side, pretty much no matter what you do.

As such, deal with it in other ways. Policing/Taking reports/Monitoring behavior etc.
Also, Implementing a robust anti-cheat solution with peer to peer checking would be far more beneficial in the long run.

You’re completely wrong in the most basic ways. You say it’s not something anyone cares about, but that just speaks volumes about how much you don’t care about your player base.

Cheating happens regardless, the point is setting up a system that actively blocks cheating and is able to identify cheaters. If you setup client side you have ZERO control. If you setup server-side you can authenticate everything.

Unreal Engine has zero support for P2P networking. You mentioning it shows your ignorance. Talking about Policing/Reports/Monitoring is last resort after the server side anti-cheat fails. Unreal Engine operates as a client-host, not P2P.

If you bothered at all reading the rest of the conversation, you’d have noticed that the fact p2p is not native to the engine was already highlighted when suggesting OP hire an actual network engineer before anything else.

But since you

And then

I’ll just Flag your BS for the mods to warn you.

Hey guys!

Please ensure we’re being civil and respectful to one another on the forums.
Please check out our code of conduct to find how best to interact with other community members! :slight_smile:

2 Likes