How to fix Unreal 5 Boot issue?

Whenever I try to boot Unreal 5 it crashes at around 4% loading into the editor, I have previously had the program running, but as it was installed on a work computer I had to uninstall it due to space limitations. They’ve since provided me with a larger HDD and so I’ve reinstalled, but it won’t run.
I’ve installed both the Epic Games Launcher and Unreal Engine on the new D: drive. I’ve checked the location on the crash report and there is a file in the folder with that name, since it was only installed this morning I can’t see it as having been corrupted or anything.

Below is what the Crash Reporter shows;

Assertion failed: Handle [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\ShaderCompilerCommon\Private\DXCWrapper.cpp] [Line: 59] Failed to load module: …/…/…/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/ShaderConductor/Win64/dxil.dll

UnrealEditor_ShaderCompilerCommon
UnrealEditor_ShaderCompilerCommon
UnrealEditor_ShaderFormatD3D
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_TargetPlatform
UnrealEditor_TargetPlatform
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Ok, so I’ve copied a file called dxilconv.dll from my System32 folder (C:\Windows\System32) and replaced the file in the folder listed above - keeping the original just in case.
Edit:
and renaming the copied file to simply dxil.dll - as per the original file.

Unreal now appears to boot into the editor.

Can someone let me know if this is an OK thing to do, or will it cause other issues further down the line?

5 Likes

First off, I appreciate this thread, it at least got me in the right direction as I was having the same problem.

First thing I did was attempt to run Verify against the installation. I figured at best, if anything was corrupted or missing the Verify process would/should fix it. In addition to properly registering the DLLS. Literally wasted 30 mins. So don’t do that.

I also tried what the original poster suggested. However, that didn’t work.

Here is what worked for me:

Copy the x64 version of the dxil.dll from C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Redist\D3D\x64

Delete the original dxil.dll located here D:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\Windows\DirectX\x64

Replace the dxil.dll with the one from the Win10 SDK x64 directory.

Not sure if this is a an overall bitness or a version issue, but it’s definitely annoying.

Hopefully either work-around assists anyone else having to deal with this.

Cheers.

1 Like

this is the right answer

Sorry, just realised I didn’t state that when I copied the file from the System32 folder to the Unreal folder that I did rename the file from ‘dxilconv.dll’ to ‘dxil.dll’.

Not that I’m suggesting you didn’t do this yourself, just that I didn’t mention it in my original solution; and so to make it complete should someone else have the same issue in the future.

I’ve just updated my rig and it came with windows 11 (Brand new PC, Ryzen 9 12 - core CPU, Nvidia RTX 3080 TI 12 GB). I’ve tried the above solution several times along with updating my GPU Drivers and it’s still crashing. Is this a Windows 11 thing?

1 Like

Not for me I’m still on Win10.

Just to confirm your crash reporter shows the same thing (word for word) as posted above? I just want to be sure it’s the exact same issue, and there’s not a small difference somewhere in UE which could lead to something else being the cause.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it’s the exact same issue, word for word. With this new PC I have to go to > Windows C: > System 32 > to find the dxilconv.dll file. There is no path on my PC that reads " *Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Redist\D3D\x64"

I then copied that file, deleted the original one from the Launcher folder and re named. Restarted and still got the same crash.

Drivers are updated as well

1 Like

I would imagine the ‘windows kits’ solution may be in a different folder for you (presuming the ‘10’ refers to Windows 10) - I don’t know the file structure on Win11 and they could be located somewhere completely different.

Unfortunately I stopped looking into this issue once my solution worked, and so I’m not really sure of the underline cause. Have you tried uninstalling the Engine and Epic Launcher, and re-installing?

I’ve just read there’s an issue with UE5 and Windows 11 that relates to DirectX 12, and that maybe changing to DirectX 11 could be the solution?

I’ve had issues with unreal and windows because if you update windows periodically using the windows update feature in time some of the files unreal needs will not be installed.

ok this is a bad way to say this i will break this down.

you update every time windows tell you that you need to update.

all fine, windows works, unreal will maybe not work.

you use the offline windows updates exe. that one includes all the directx files that unreal needs

Thank you for your response! I’ll definitely give this a try!

That makes sense. I’ve uninstalled and re installed a couple of times now and nothing. I’m going to give dorusoftware’s solution a try and see how that goes. I had a feeling it was a windows 11 issue. Thanks for responding though!

Hey PX54, wanted to give you an update. So, it turns out your solution is correct. Since I’m on windows 11, the place I needed to be was in (program files) and not (Program Files (86)). Everything is working now!

Thank you to all who responded!

what do you mean you were in program files 86? You have installed unreal there?

As reference, that folder is for software that are 32 bit. so normal program files is for 64 bit and 86 for 32 bit

Hi man have you fixed this, I’m in same siuation with you :smiling_face_with_tear:

Thank you very much.

Yes, my solution is marked at the top, but others have found different possible solutions to their specific variation, and detailed their findings in their responses.

I need help please. I was having the same problem and tried the solution posted here, but that only generates another type of crash when booting:

Assertion failed: ComputePipelineState [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12StateCache.cpp] [Line: 1208]

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Any idea why?? and how to solve this problem? If it’s relevant i’m using Windows 11

1 Like

Same thing happen to me yesterday.
Windows 11, same error after startup as Woodwind has

1 Like

Managed to run unreal correctly.
Win 11

1. I ran dxwebsetup.exe (from microsoft site)
  2. used command sfc /scannow (on terminal, admin) it found some corrupted windows files
  3. Reinstalled unreal