How to fix Unreal 5 Boot issue?

Hello.
Unfortunatlety this solution does not apply to my problem.
UE5 crashes instantly.

chrome_B2LrxiGr7r
I’ve tried to verify / reinstall but It didnt help.

I have replaced the dxil.dll file with another one that I received from a friend and It worked.

For some reason that file was corrupted.

This is nuts. I don’t even have a D:\ drive. Why does UE wants to read from a drive that does not exist? Some intern hard-coded the path and somehow it passed the pull request?

1 Like

Turns it the dxil.dll file is not corrupted, but the signature is expired.

I re-signed it and now it works.

What do I need to do to re-sign the file? I’m having the same issue. Thanks.

This worked for me as well. Thank you!

i don`t kown how to re-sign the dxil.dll, could you explain it, please.

Did you find a solution?

didn’t work for me but i found another way

i recently tried win11 for the first time, after that i installed UE5 and got the same error
UE5 was working perfectly in win10 btw

here what i did: search for dxil.dll in google then download it (i downloaded here: Download grátis de dxil.dll | DLL‑files.com)…
with it already in your computer copy that and paste in: C:\Windows\System32
and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\Windows\DirectX\x64
restart your pc and it should work now

1 Like

I am getting the same error as @anonymous_user_70d8ffe81 after I fixed the dxil.dll error. I reinstalled UE but the same thing is keep happening.

Assertion failed: ComputePipelineState [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12StateCache.cpp] [Line: 1208]

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

You need to go into your Config/DefaultEngine.ini for your project and change DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12 to DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX11.

Just chiming in to say that I had the same issue. This is definitely a Windows 11 issue I think. I was just using UE5 yesterday on Windows 10, I upgraded + full system wipe and re-installed, now this.

Had to copy/paste the dxilconv.dll from System32 and rename it to dxil.dll, which fixed the first issue. It generated all the shaders but the moment the project opened it crashed again with the issue that @Lamsese and others mentioned, which required the DX12->DX11 fix.

I hope all of this won’t affect anything else related to my project. Hopefully it gets fixed.

3 Likes

Downgrading DirectX to DX11 is the solve for Windows 11 as far as I can work out, but the dxil.dll file issue that I had originally isn’t a Windows 11 issue as none of the machines I use have Windows 11 installed, both at work and at home.

That’s not to say that downgrading to DX11 on Windows 10 might not also solve the issue I had, it’s just not what I did.

I went through ALL the solutions mentioned here except changing to DX11 (I’m using W11) because I have to work in DX12 on my project. This was the only solution that worked.

The solutions here didn’t work for me on Win11.

But since it was a dll issue I suspected some sort of dependency got thrown out of whack. I opened up Visual Studio Installer and saw that a “Visual Studio Build Tools 2019” was now installed where it previously was not. I removed it and updated my VS Community 2022. Then it started working again.

I was building from source as well, and this was the error I was getting:

Can you explain how to sign ?Thank you

I got this same issue but what would happen is I could open the editor but it would fail on building with this error, and after closing the editor down it wouldn’t let me back in the same error would popup, after installing some more VS components it seems to fixed the issue.

1 Like

Which VS components did you add?

Bruh <3

You saved my game!
Why is there no safe mode with Unreal?
We’re kind of just left with nothing when stuff like this happens.

1 Like