How to export .fbx files with materials?

Hello, im trying to get some models imported into my level in ue. However, when I try to import the .fbx file, the materials all are white.

Screenshot - b9ab932566e2b1b9dfb47bb09ec1f29f - Gyazo

message log:
No smoothing group information was found in this FBX scene. Please make sure to enable the ‘Export Smoothing Groups’ option in the FBX Exporter plug-in before exporting the file. Even for tools that don’t support smoothing groups, the FBX Exporter will generate appropriate smoothing data at export-time so that correct vertex normals can be inferred while importing.

Round_Swivel_Chair_FBX has degenerate tangent bases which will result in incorrect shading. MikkTSpace relies on tangent bases and may result in mesh corruption, consider disabling this option.

Round_Swivel_Chair_FBX has some nearly zero tangents which can create some issues. (Tolerance of 1E-4)

Round_Swivel_Chair_FBX has some nearly zero bi-normals which can create some issues. (Tolerance of 1E-4)

did you find an answer? im currently experiencing the same problem

Hello DevilPandah and Ritterbecks. Thank you for asking the questions.

For the warning:
Depending on your 3D software, the solution could be as simple as a checkbox on export (Blender) or changing the properties before exporting such as in 3DS Max.

For the Material:
Though to be fair, I am doubting that warning bears any affect on the texture’s importing. I have imported a few test FBXs from various resources and the same warning appears but they all have materials assigned and are in full color.

Alternatively, you could try to import your textures first and then your fbx files.

I hope this information helps you both.

@Polite_Muon thanks for taking the time to reply!

I have my question formulated more specifially on this page:

I’d really appreciate it if you could take a look :smiley:

Cheers!

1 Like