How to enable actors/source of function calls in Unreal Insights?

Hey there,

Not exactly the right category but I’m wondering how you enable actor names/ the source of the functions calls in Unreal Insights.

I’ve seen this in a presentation from Epic:

where the actor names are above the function calls so you can see where they are coming from:

but I only get this:

I’ve looked in Build.h and ENABLE_STATNAMEDEVENTS and ENABLE_STATNAMEDEVENTS_UOBJECT look like they might enable it but when turning them on they result in compile errors due to objects not being found (some because STATS is 1 and some because STATS is 0). Haven’t been able to get the right combination of defines for this to work yet…

Any help would be appriciated :). Thanks.

2 Likes

Have you solved it?
stats and counters are only available from 4.26.

On the other hand, I can’t find a way to show the function names without using the TRACE macros in the functions that I think might be suspicious.

Hi! Digging up this topic but I’ve just run into the same issue so I thought I might share the solution I found.
In theory, starting the engine with -statnamedevents should display the object names in Unreal Insights, but it appears there’s a bug at the moment and the only way to get it is to run the command stats.NamedEvents 1.
Hope this helps! :slight_smile:
Cheers

3 Likes

Hey Tom, was there any other step involved besides entering that 1 command line? Im running Insights in the editor but never get the name of the blueprints or functions involved. Without that info it becomes near impossible to know where the cpu bottle neck are

1 Like

You need to enable the AssetLoadTime channel. Then your object/function names will show up in your traces.

3 Likes

Thanks! With AssetLoadTime it’s actually useful now. It doesn’t work with standalone game though, it seems?