How to create a simple "exp" particle effect?

Hey!

I was wondering if someone could help me/guide me on the right direction to create a particle system. What I’m trying to achieve is simply a sphere that will spawn when something is killed and will fly towards the player, ignoring all collisions and always going to the player. I don’t have much experience with Niagara so I’m wondering if this is even possible with particle systems. If it is, I’d love to hear how I can do it.

Thanks for the help! :smile:

1 Like

If you just want a sphere following the player, yes you can do that with Niagara, but it would be easier with a blueprint :slight_smile:

To make the Niagara system follow the player, you might need a BP anyway to control emitter parameters, so you might as well just use a BP.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the response! I actually want to use a particle so I can adjust the looks a bit and make it more than a sphere, if you know what I mean :smiley:

But I get what you are saying and I agree that it’s pretty much easier with BP… I might dive a bit more into docs and see if I can achieve this with Niagara attraction forces, otherwise, BP all the way! :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought you were going to say that :slight_smile:

In any event, I think you can make the system location a parameter, and write to that parameter from a blueprint.

1 Like

Think that is what I’ll do. Appreciate the tip!

1 Like

Bumping this. I’ve essentially went with blueprints. When an enemy is killed, a “BP_ExpParticle” actor (which just has a niagara component) will spawn and will vinterp constant to player character.

This gets the job done, however I’m not super happy with it.

The effect I’m trying to achieve is similar to this short video from the old MMO Metin2:

It’s essentially a “snaking” projectile. Its always taking different paths going to the player. In my current project, Vinterp logic makes the projectile simply take a straight path to the player.

I am wondering how I can create something similar to this. Any help/guide on the right direction is highly appreciated! :slight_smile:

I’ve actually managed to this from blueprints with some math! If you are interested in achieving something similar, this is how I did it:

Inside the “BP_ExpProjectile”

1. Function for calculating Mid Point between projectile and player location:

2. Function for getting a curved point:

3. Moving to player:

How it behaves:

/closed

1 Like

I just saw this

it might interest you…

1 Like

Oh this is great. I will be looking into this as well for optimisation purposes. Thank you!

1 Like

I noticed a few other tutorials on projectiles with particles. It seems to be pretty normal to make a blueprint particle, and get it to write its position to the system.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.